Which G&L do I want to buy?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonynoriega, Mar 6, 2006.

1. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I've decided on a G&L as my next acquisition - I simply like the looks, fit and finish of them, and I've always liked anything that Leo Fender designed. But, before this weekend I've never given them a 2nd look and don't know much about the different models so I could use your input.

I currently play Jazzes and Reverends the most and like the 1-1/2" necks and I also like lighter basses that are passive rather than active, although if one of the models was switchable from passive to active that would work. I only play a 4 string.

I play classic rock in one band and blues in another. Please pass along your experiences and likes/dislikes with these instruments. Thanks!
  2. jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    My vote goes to a USA L-2000 . They have an active/passive switch and sound great in either mode . They tend to be a little heavy on the shoulder but use a wide strap and enjoy .
  3. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    And check under "options" on their website. It comes with a Pbass neck standard but there are 4 different neck options, 2 of then jazz sized with different radius'. The number 6 neck has a 7.5" and the number 8 neck has a 12" radius. They are a bit heavy like jdlwareagle says, but it's worth it!
  4. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Well, the weight is actually kind of a crapshoot. They can be quite light or heavy or in between. I've got an ash L2k that feels just fine. No weight issues at all. Now, one of the cool things, if you order one from G&L, is you can request lighter wood. They will try to accomodate, but, no guarantees. For my next custom, I'm going to request a light ash for the body. I may not get it, but at least I can ask for it. G&L is cool that way with custom orders!

Oh, and the L2k is like the Swiss Army Knife of bassdom. It has it's own voice, but can cop a WIDE variety of tones!
  5. L-2000 because it's got thousands of good sounds in it. I love mine. Plus it sounds more than awesome in passive mode as well (you can't say that about other active/passive basses).
    I prefer Precision necks (1 3/4") but you can get them with 1 1/2" Jazz necks.
    Imho the L-2000 is rather light (I'm used to heavy Warwicks).

If you like traditional Jazz basses you should also check out the JB-2.

I suggest you buy a L-2000 because you can make her sound like a Jazz but you cannot make a Jazz (JB-2) sound like a L-2000.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I've had 2 L2000's - fretted and fretless - and a fretted L2500 and I really liked them.

The SB-2 is a passive P/J bass that might be something different for you. 1 1/2" nut, one volume per pickup, but no tone control.

If you like jazz basses, the JB-2 is basically a G&L jazz bass.

I don't think there's a "wrong" choice when it comes to G&L.
  7. included "passive", and "light". You also mentioned that you're mainly playing jazz basses.

If you want to stick to the jazz mojo - I think your post adds up to a JB-2. Most are light, they're passive basses, and they are one of the best jazz-genre basses made in the USA today.

If, on the other hand, you're looking for something different than your other jazz instruments, please consider an L-2000 made in the USA. You can do the passive thing with it, but it really has a huge plethora of tones available, and will definitely give you a different tonal "palette" than your current bass collection can produce. Be careful with the weight, however, L2K's often top out in the 11-12 pound range.

8. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    My L2000 is the most versatile bass I've ever played. I'd go for one of those or an ASAT. Both have the same pickup/preamp configuration...and are tone machines.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Semi Hollow ASAT Basses are pretty awesome. :bassist:
  10. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

Hey Tony,

I'm both a Rumblefish afficionado (love the PJ) and a G&L nut. Here's my 2 cents:

- you say you want something Leo Fender had a hand in designing. Then no JB-2 for you. That came about long after his passing. And you've already got J-style basses. If you only want J-style basses then go JB-2 - it will have G&L fit, finish & feel (but no Leo mojo).

- You like skinny necks - go with a G&L #6. 1.5" wide at the nut and 7.5" fretboard radius. It's my personal favorite (even over the Reverend neck).

- Although I love the SB-2 (and am looking for one again) I would say that the L-2000 is the quintessential G&L 4-string. Active/passive capability. The big humbuckers can be series (extra thick) or parallel (thick). It has a lot of different flavors hidden in the switch settings. The ones I've had have been under 10lbs and great to play. The ASAT would have the same electronics/sound but I like the ergonomics of the double-cut body better.
  11. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA

All of the groovy tonal options of the L2K, but looks much cooler.
  12. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I got my L-2000 with the #8 neck (1 1/2" width and 12" rad.) and a swamp ash body. It's so sweet that I wish I had the cash to get another for my drop D tuning band. I'm actually considering getting a used ASAT becuase it comes standard with the 1 1/2" neck width. I hear that it has a bit of neck dive to it, but I think it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. So, in the meantime, I use my EBMM Sterling for the D tuned project. I don't know what people are talking about that the L-2000 is heavy...maybe compared to a Steinberger or something! I can tell you that the G&L weighs FAR less than the Sterling. I think if my G&L weighed any less...they would have to use Balsa wood!

The fact that you can go from active to passive is a great feature on the L-2000 and the ASAT (I'm not sure about the other models).

The tonal options are amazing. I can get my 2000 to sound just like a Jazz-bass or a P-bass by hitting a few switches. I'm not a sales rep for G&L, either! hahaha
  13. Another vote for the L-2000
  14. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Get a used L2000. Mine is a light weight ash with the P style neck. Many tones to dial in! Both active and passive are sweet!
  15. That all L2K's were heavy.

Do a search at the Dudepit and elsewhere, and you'll find that L2K's, depending on the wood, etc., can weigh quite a bit. Mine is a gorgeous bass, balances well, and I'm not selling it. It is, however 11ish pounds. Not a light bass. Since the original poster talked about weight as a factor, several of us are warning him to try before he buys - or at least specify a weight target when he orders.

I love my L2K...don't get me wrong. By contrast, however, almost ALL JB-2's that have been talked about on this forum and the Dudepit are very light - in the vicinity of 8-9 pounds, in fact.

16. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Thanks to all of you for coming through with tons of information on the G&L basses! I had no idea that there were so many choices in the area of neck width/radius and I didn't expect three models to be in consideration. As I can't afford a new bass, I'm going to keep my radar on, and hopefully find a natural wood body with rosewood board and 1-1/2" neck that's made in the USA. Thanks again! Tony Noriega, Tampa
  17. lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

The L2500's have a tulipwood back (basswood) with an Ash top to reduce weight. The L2000's are solid Ash. My L2000 is one of the heaviest basses I own, easily over 12 lbs.
  18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Mine is solid ash too, and pretty darn heavy.

But thats a small price to pay for god-like tone. :)
  19. flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    Most newer G&L basses are light to moderate weight, usually under 9.5lbs. I rarely see a haevy new one and I have a heavy old one.