1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which G&L neck is close to the Geddy Lee Jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iDavid, May 12, 2006.

1. iDavid

iDavid

Apr 22, 2005
    Love the Geddy Lee Fender Jazz neck, but curious about G&L

Since there are not any G&L around these parts...

which neck would be the most similar?

#6, maybe?

thanks

david

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    The number 6 has a 7/12" radius, the number 8 (other jazz sized G&L neck) has a 12" radius. I think the Geddy is around a 9 1/2" radius. Both G&L's are a going to be thicker, front to back and the same widthwise. The number 6 is probably the best bet. I have one on my L2000 and it's my absolute favorite neck.

3. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    From what I know about G&L, I think you are right, the #6. You can ask at www.guitarsbyleo.com they will know.

4. flash99

flash99

Jun 8, 2005
    New York City
    #6 is definitely closer. #8 will feel completely different from the Geddy neck.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    The Geddy is a 9.5" radius, just like my 2003 Am. Ser. Jazz, and when I ordered a G&L I wanted it to feel similar. I went with the #6, and I think it feels almost identical in the lower frets (5 and lower), albeit without the rolled fingerboard edges of the MIA Jazz. Apparently due to a non-working truss rod, I could never get the action low enough to know how close it feels otherwise. I suspect with the same action it would be very close though.