Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which G&L should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gareth, Mar 28, 2003.

1. gareth

gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    UK
    I have some Fenders and Musicmen basses but I know nothing about G&L basses.

Which 4 string models are good?

2. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I think you should try out one of the old G & L's from the 80's. I use a 1981 G&L & I think it's one of the most amaizing sounding basses I've ever heard. It has lots of deep bass.

Sean

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Funny you should ask ( and I dont mean funny like clowns in a small car) I recently tried out two basses from G&L. One was A jazz style(2 j pups) and one with two Humbuckers ( I apoligize for not knowing the model names) They were both IMO very well made and felt good in the hands. But the thing that stood out the most, that kept me from enjoying them was the amount of dead notes. Thats not to say they are all like that, that was just my experience with them.

4. OldJackBloom

OldJackBloom

May 12, 2001
    Reno, NV
    I bought an L2000 six months ago. I custom ordered it, which took about four months. The electronics are excellent. The Magnetic Field Design humbuckers in this thing are rich. The pickup combinations (18) give a very wide pallette, not to mention quiet, dynamic bass and treble tone pots. Also, out of the box it plays about as well as anything I have ever played. In a nutshell, great playability, great tone.

5. I have an l-1000 from 1980 with the slot screw pickup (more rare, made for only for a few months or so) and I think it's a spectacular sounding bass, my only complaint is the string spacing, but it does allow me to slap with more ease, and generally persuades me to play with more attack and aggression. It feels really soft in my hands (I don't know if that's preffered, but I like it allot more than something that feels stiff), and really breaths, it sounds like i'm dropping huge bombs. THUD/BOOM then it MUSHROOMS/EXPANDS into an OPEN/BREATHING GROWL~! :bassist:

I've heard being described like a p-bass on steroids, and I agree.

I hope you liked my explination of tone:D