Which Galien Krueger should I stay away from?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Jul 20, 2009.

1. My local store has a 1001rb Mark II amp for 300 bux. I heard that GK had some amps that crap out on a lot of people. Is this the model to stay away from?

2. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I've never had a problem with GK.

3. I have had my 1001RB for over a year, with no issues. I have played GK amps for 25 years, with no issues.

4. KaizerWilhelm

KaizerWilhelm

Mar 11, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Ive had a GK for 4+ years. Now the only reason it's crapping out on me is because my gui****ist dropped it. :meh:

5. G RICH 5

G RICH 5 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2006
    Detroit
    For that price---just buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have had mine for over 2 years w/no probs, and have used many other products of theirs for years with never any problems.

6. ReMmy

ReMmy

Jun 23, 2009
    Cd'A, ID
    where is that store exactly?

7. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Any brand of amps will have a few cases of amp failure. The problem with the internet is that anything negative gets put on a pedestal, while anything positive is just looked at as run-of-the-mill commentary on a product. Essentially the negative gets amplified, so one case of amp failure becomes the standard by which the company is judged.

GK makes great amps.

8. Does this amp go to 2ohms?

Does it have a tube in it? I played it through 6x10 ampeg and it sounded pretty warm

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Only stable to 4 ohms. All solid state.

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi waytoodeep03.

It's a good idea to download and study the owner's manual for any piece of gear you're looking at getting BEFORE you buy it.

GK's RB series of amps are as reliable as the best bass amps made anywhere.

To my knowledge Gallien-Krueger is ONLY having problems with their new micro bass head, the MB2-500. (GK has to make this 3.75 lb., 500 watt amp work as well as their ~ 20+ lb. models--and they will.)

GK has been, and continues to be very responsive in dealing with customers who've bought this one troublesome product. (A couple of days ago an ailing MB2-500 owner posted on TalkBass for help with his amp and the president of Gallien-Krueger was first to respond.)

BTW. I believe that the amp you're thinking of getting requires a MINIMUM 4 ohm speaker load.

But don't take my word for it. Check the manual... :p

11. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    That's a crazy low price. Jump on it.

12. I too, have the same model amp. Never gave me any issues and I cant exactly say i've been gentle with it. Make sure the one youre looking at works tho. For $300, its either a sick one-of-a-kind deal, or has potential problems.

Im just paranoid of low prices tho

13. It is used on consignment.
    Ill pick it up first thing in the morning

14. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    For that price, if it works fine, you got a smokin' good deal!

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It was the 1000RB that had problems. The 1001RB-II was just fine.

16. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Palm Coast, FL
    Nah, not worth buying....

Now, where did you say that store was?

Dan K.

17. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I once had a mid-90's 400RB and an Ampeg 4x10 rig that sounded great and put up with a lot of road use, but finally bit the dust on a gig. Got it fixed, and it immediately died again. This time, the repair guy did a few "enhancements" that made it more powerful and more full sounding. I added another 4x10 cab, bringing the load to 4ohms and it was awesome, but it eventually died a third time.... Maybe it was a lemon, but I still feel like I got my money's worth out of that little box.

18. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    I've owned several 800rbs (love em), a 700rb2 & a 1001rb2. Never had a problem with any of them.

19. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Get it. GK rocks. Great solid state amps. Good company. Well built. Played 'em over 20 years also. I recently began using Ampeg's Classic tube head, but I still use my GKs ;)

20. KPAX

KPAX Inactive

Mar 22, 2005
    The 1001RBII is bulletproof.
    I've played over 100 gigs on mine without even the slightest blip. If anything, they're utterly reliable.