1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which generation of the Catalinbread SFT is the way to go? Or alternative?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Jan 9, 2017.

1. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    I kind of lost track of all the Catalinbread SFT versions and want to know the differences or summarized: which one is/was the best?

I used to have SFT v1 but sold it and might regret it now. My old SFT didn´t like my active basses, even with powering it with 18 volts, but now i mostly play passive basses in C-standard tuning (stonerrock).

Or should i better aim for an SFT alternative? Most important for me is touch sensitivity: as harder you hit the strings, as more dirt comes out.

2. I never liked the SFT, too darn compressed.

Go for a Barbershop, an Azure Drive, a Valvecaster, or something like that. Some people get good results out of the Beta, but again IMO/IME it was too compressed.

3. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    I kinda agree with Blindrabbit. The SFT never sounded all that good. Too furry and not much articulation or definition. At least with the one I had about 4 years ago.

4. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    more opinions please ... i want to re-buy the SFT, but don´t know which generation, thx!

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Creation Audio Grizzly sounds exactly like I always wished the SFT could sound like.

Phyzzbin likes this.
  6. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    The Southampton Fifth Gear v2 is one for that as far as I am concerned.

7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    v1 has the big white knobs, v2 has smaller black knobs, or silver knobs. v3 has a switch to go between two gain settings 'stones' and 'stoner'.

18V is definitely the way to go, especially if you have a high output bass.

V1 has less low end and top end, but fatter lower mids that really fill out the mix. I had both for a while and thought I preferred the deeper lows and extended highs of the V2 at first, but with the band at volume, the V1 had more low mid grunt.

I eventually replaced it with a Bearfoot Blueberry though. It sounds more tube like and responds better when digging in really hard. Fast forward several years and I am using a Solidgoldfx Beta as a dirty boost instead. Sounds very much like a tubescreamer but with massive lows and low mids, and not much top end!