1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Genz Benz shuttle - 3.0 10T or 6.0 12T?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vulcan Logic, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Vulcan Logic

Vulcan Logic

Sep 10, 2008
    Hello, folks.

I'm planning to purchase a new Shuttle combo. I'm not sure at this point which one would be better for my purposes.

I'm living in university housing (a small apartment). I want to have a compact, portable amp that can sound good at low volumes as well as have versatility for jam sessions (a wide variety of jazz styles including fusion). I tried the GB Shuttle 3.0 10T, which seemed nearly perfect for my home practice purposes (compact and excellent tone) but there seemed to be a bit of low end roll-off on the B-string notes. Overall it seemed great for low volume practice as well as for playing in a jazz combo. I compared the Shuttle 10T with a SWR WorkingPro 12, and I noticed that the low-B frequencies seemed better articulated on the SWR. However, I liked the overall tone and portability of the Shuttle better. I use a Peavey Cirrus fretless 5 (active).

What I haven't been able to try is the 6.0 12T. I'd bet that combo would capture a larger frequency range, and the B-string tones would be fully articulated through the 12" speaker. Furthermore, with the added preamp tube, I'd probably be able to warm up the tone for even more sonic versatility.

But I wonder if the added power of the 6.0 head and increased frequency range of that 12" speaker would be excessive in a quiet apartment situation. I needn't be whisper quiet during practice or jam sessions...playing through an amp at moderate converational volumes is fine before 10pm.
    My main concern is the appropriateness at low volume...the 10T would certainly work in my apartment.

Please advise.

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I've owned both and kept the 6.0-12T. If the 32 pounds is OK with you there is no down side IMO. The 3.0-10T will cover a quieter jazz gig just fine but if you are going to jam with a 'normal-volume drummer' you'll need the bigger one....again IMO.

3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    NY
    If this is going to be your main gigging amp the 12t might be better. The 10t gets hella loud for its size. I can keep up with a drummer playing loud on a restaurant/very small club type gig but wouldn't want to use it for a regular rock/pop type gig. That being said I use a 4 ohm 2x12 cab with the 3.0 head and it has been loud enough for outdoor gigs with a fairly loud band. I wouldn't mind a bit more headroom in the loudest situations but I haven't run out yet.

4. +1 to basss

I wouldn't want the 10 as my only gigging amp but it certainly holds its own against two guitarists and a loud drummer for my band practices.

If this is going to be your only amp go with the 12 but I'm sure you won't disappointed either way.

5. Vulcan Logic

Vulcan Logic

Sep 10, 2008
    Thanks much for all of that excellent advice.

I decided to go with the shuttle 3.0 10T. Cost was a factor, and so was the ultra-compactness and lightness advantage. I figure that the 10" would be excellent, covering my needs and even much of what I want. I acknowledge that the 6.0 12T version would (comparing power and tonal options) perhaps be more versatile. So it came down to a needs vs wants decision, factored in with finances being tight.

In the future, I could see myself adding an extension cab to the 3.0 to provide more fullness and power (as I understand it, with an appropriate cab the 175 watts will increase to 300). For now, I'm mainly practicing and jamming in relatively quiet settings. I kept in mind what some of you said about this Shuttle being respectably loud as it is, and even this combo will be a big step up for me in terms of quality gear.

6. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    From what you've described, it sounds like you made an excellent choice. I use the 3.0 10T for everything from at-home-practice (I live in a townhouse, so the neighbors are close enough to be a problem) to our block party gig the other week (where I would have liked a little extra comfort zone, but I was still fine against two guitarists, drums, and keyboard).

When gigging, I normally set my 3.0 10T on top of a 1x15 cabinet for 300 watts and plenty of volume for a 200 person capacity bar. And with the size and weight, I have the easiest loading/setup time of anyone in the band, even with a 70lb 1x15 to deal with.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use a 3.0 10T for all my gigs - jazz, rock, whatever - and it has always sounded great. When I have a PA, it's a great monitor with a great DI.

It's a great amp!

8. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I wish I could run to the PA (not enough inputs in ours), but at the same time, I like the sound of that the 1x15 (an Ampeg SVT-115e) brings to the table. Not taking that cabinet would reduce my total gear weight by 2/3rds. If our PA was up to it, the 3.0 10T would DEFINITELY be up for it.

Last week, I finally got to hit the amp's sweet spot. It's been months since I so completely wanted to turn off all of my effects and just let the bass and amp do their jobs.

9. texasgreg

texasgreg

Oct 29, 2007
    Austintacious
    What about using the 10 and running a direct into the PA?

10. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I'm sure it would work great, except we'd have to either lose a vocal mic or the keyboard. Besides, this gave me the excuse to buy the 1x15.

I feel weirder about running a 1x10 and 1x15 together than anything else. Sounds great, though.

11. Vulcan Logic

Vulcan Logic

Sep 10, 2008
    So I brought my new GB Shuttle 3.0 10T home today.

My first "at home" impressions:

This combo is better, far better than I had imagined. Results sure change given a change of venue. When I was in the store, things were (perhaps unsurprisingly) noisy (drumming, various guitar players with various amps). For the most part I wasn't playing particularly loud there, so I am sure the general cacophony was interfering with what I heard through the speaker. When at home, this amp sounds great, even with the low B. When I take into account that it is only a single 10" speaker, it seems phenomenal. Each of the tones are well articulated through the speaker. Every nuance is expressed. This really outputs what the player inputs. I can hear when I play something rightly or wrongly.
    Not that there is no "color" to the tone...it is solid state, but at the settings I had, the shuttle produced a "warm" expression of each note. I would say it seems "organic".

I am eagerly awaiting jamming again with others, in part so I can turn up the volume a bit with this. One of the particularly interesting aspects of the shuttle is how it really does sound great at low volumes. I have also heard it at about 1/2 max volume and it was still great (and very loud).
    Considering the prospects of plugging this into external speakers/PA system, this would be spectacular, opening up an even greater sonic range.

In summary, and taking into account it is my "first impressions" after purchasing, I'm really happy with this choice.

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The LF Extend switch will extend the extreme low frequency response with a slight penalty of lower available headroom. Not an issue if you don't need maximum volume.

Adding the extension cabinet will also increase the extreme low frequency response, and you might try placing the amp in a corner or on the floor angled up placed about 4-6" from a wall.

13. Vulcan Logic

Vulcan Logic

Sep 10, 2008
    Agedhorse,

I am curious about the mid freq knob's effect. Changing the settings of that knob (at least at low volume) seems to produce a much more subtle result than changing the low, mid, or high knob settings on the equalizer. Turning the mid freq knob from all the way counterclockwise and then to all the way clockwise, I had to listen carefully to discern any differences.
    Looking at the manual, it seems that "mid freq" affects a narrow band of mids.

Should result of changing the mid freq knob be more dramatic? I'm still a bit unfamiliar with this amp. Maybe I'd have to turn up the volume more to start hearing big changes.

14. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    If the Mid knob is flat, the Mid Freq knob won't do very much.

Try putting the mid knob at 3o'clock and then sweep the Mid Freq knob.

15. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The mid frequency control adjusts the frequency band that that the mid gain (or level) control acts upon. With the mid gain control set flat (12:00 position) there will be no difference no matter where the frequency knob is set because there is no cut or boost happening.

Go onto our website and download any manual for our Shenandoah acoustic amps. There is an informative tutorial concerning the sweep mid eq control and how it can be used.

16. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I gigged my 3.0-10T with a 10T extension cab for the first time this past weekend. Just your average rowdy bar gig...actually it was a private party for a friend...it just happened to be in a bar...
    The little rig did wonderfully. I started out with the volume at noon...and had to really watch my attack...as it was too loud for the room...now, to be honest, there were no big guitar amps on stage, just Pro Jrs and Deluxes, but the drummer was a hard hitter and the Shuttle did great. I eventually turned the volume down to between 9 and 10 o'clock and was able to play 'normally' with no drop off in volume. Considering I normally have PA support (I didn't this weekend), the Shuttle seems capable of handling pretty much all of my gigs. Yeah, I had to go around the room to all the musicians there and hand them the combo and watch their expressions after hearing it...that alone, was worth the cost of admission!

Kim

17. Vulcan Logic

Vulcan Logic

Sep 10, 2008
    Ok...I see what you mean about the mid freq control...trying some of the suggestions listed above I found that it really does change the output. Originally I had the other equalizer knobs set "flat".