Which gibson?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by dave_clark69, Mar 4, 2003.

1. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    my mate is gonna buy a new guitar soon and is wanting to get a iommi signature i said nah mate but what kind of guitar would you recomend for that sort of price must be a gibson with 2 humbuckers
  2. ANY gibson with humbuckers? i'd get an SG or an ES-335. but if your friend's confident in his rockingness, tell him to get the explorer. just remember, if you show up on stage with an axe like that, you'd better be able to walk the walk.
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know how the prices compare in your country, but the Heritage Guitars put the Gibsons to shame. Heritages are "real" Gibsons.

Three of the big dogs behind Gibson decided not to move when Gibson moved to Nashville. They bought the legendary Gibson factory in Kalamazoo, MI and make Gibsons the way they were meant to be made, under the "Heritage" name.

Yes, they have English dealers.

Link - http://www.heritageguitar.com/company/about_us.htm
  4. The Tony Iommi SGs are going for about $1,400 U.S. If your friend has that kind of money, he might also like a Les Paul Studio which goes for about $1,100. The easiest way is to go to the Gibson site, check out all the models and then see what they're going for in your area.

One Gibson I really like is the Blueshawk.

Good Luck

5. How did you know he was from Englishland? I looked at the clues and couldn't figure it out.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I agree with Rickbass' suggestion of the Heritages. Those are coming out of the factory with much better quality control than Gibson is doing these days. Also, if he wants to save a little $, the new Epiphones coming from Japan should be some seriously quality instruments. If it were up to me, I'd take the Iommi over something like a Les Paul Studio or Standard, because I hate the Gibson 490 and 498 pickups with a deep-seeded passion. If he decides on something with those pickups, I'd suggest replacing them with a set of Lindy Fralins or Seymour Duncan Antiquities.
  7. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I hear Tokai makes extremely nice Gibson copies as well.. With a much nicer price tag. Also, it should be pretty easy to find a good luthier willing to make a Gibson clone for the kind of money Gibsons cost new.

Then there's always the Gibson Angus Young Signature SG.. :cool:
  8. #1) He used the term, "mate." This could also mean he's from Australia, but, when you look at his online handle,

#2) It's dave_clark69 - This was an English band that was around at about the same time as the Beatles. :)

Rickbass, excuse me for answering for you, I owe you a beer. :cool:

P.S. We still could be wrong, but, my money's on England.
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

3 giveaways;

1. Use of the word "mate"
    2. "Signature" was spelled correctly
    3. A variant of "arse" appears in the profile

10. I could be wrong, but aren't the Iommi sigs about £3,000 over here????

For that kind of money a PRS would maybe be nicer!:)
  11. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    For that kind of money, I'd be ordering a "European PRS", Ruokangas ( www.ruokangas.com ) .. and save few bucks in the process as they are sub-£2,000.

12. Nice looking guitars!!! V.S.O.P series?....the man likes his cognac!;) :D
  13. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Personally, I prefer older Gibsons. I got an LP Artist (LP Custom with sustain block and factory Moog preamp) and an ES Artist (ES 335 with sustain block and factory Moog preamp), and both are truly amazing. At home, between guitarist from my band, my cousin and I there are about 15 guitars - 3 diff. Strats, 2 Teles, Rick 360, Flying V2 (VERY nice, but needs a good preamp), LP Custom, LP 355 etc etc etc..but everyone agrees that these two sound and play the best.

'79 LP Artist cost me $800, ES Artist (same year) $950. Not exactly expensive for guitars that are really amazing.
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    My local store has couple of those, they play and sound nice too ;)

Now that Jens Ritter has his own champagne, perhaps Mr. Ruokangas should start shipping his guitars with a bottle of V.S.O.P.? :p
  15. I agree totally with what dancehallclasher said. Don't buy the EX unless you let it be known you can and will kick their @ss if they mess with you.

I personally prefer the SG. Don't know about PRS's much.
  16. dude just let him go for the iommi sig;)