1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which GK amp do you advise for Double Bass: MB 115 or MB 112

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by CassDBass, Feb 26, 2013.

1. CassDBass

CassDBass

Feb 24, 2013
    Lisbon
    Hey guys,
    I'm looking for a smaller amp to my DB and i'm considering GK-mb 112 or mb 115.

If you play db and have some expirience whith this amps, tel me please wich is the best of this two mb's ?

tks

2. Smaller speakers seem to be the trend.

3. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Of the two, the 112 appears to be far more popular for DB, if TalkBass reports are anything to go by. If you don't need the slight gain in volume offered by the 115, you'll get better dispersion of mid and upper frequencies from the 12, as well as a lighter rig with a smaller footprint.

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have the mb 115. Used it last night (Chadwick bass, helicore hybrid mediums, full circle/pro plat). It moves a little more air than the 112 (helpful for louder americana acts). I usually use a fishman pro plat EQ in front of it. I double and there is no way the 112 would work for slab for me, even just for an onstage monitor. The 115 is enough to carry FOH in smaller clubs and has been more than adequate as a monitor in larger environs. Tonally it can get a a little woolly if you aren't careful with the boost knob. I do use that knob though. I find that turning it completely off makes the amp a little anemic. I keep it low though. A little under 9 o'clock. I sometimes need to lower the amp bass a tad to fight feedback, but more often I control all EQ'ing from the fishman and leave the GK flat. I hear a bit of hyped low mids out of it, but I hear that out of a lot of bass guitar oriented combos.

It isn't as clear as my epi/thunderfunk stack , but it is way more portable. Additionally, for some reason, I seem to hear myself better on stage when using it. I am mainly using my mb115 for around town work, but if it was a little more sturdy, I'd probably be packing it in the trailer for road work.

From what I recall of using a mb112 (in store ony, no stage experience that I recall with it) the mb 112 just seemed to give out too quickly. Seemed to be more giving me attack and less of the fundamental. Maybe fine for lower volume work, but not gonna hack it for what I needed.

PS: I frequently wish this amp was more robust and kicked back monitor wedge style.

5. I've had my old 200mb combo since the late '80s. It might not be powerful enough for your use, but it is versatile and has THE SOUND. They show up used now and then.

6. BHBassman

BHBassman

Jan 5, 2013
    USA
    Generally, bigger speakers will have more headroom/ power, dep. on volume & settings.
    My 12" speaker setups appear more focused because they aren't being pushed beyond their volume capability.
    I use 12" & 15 " speakers with great results depending on the gig.
    Can't push any speaker cabinet
    Consider an ext. speaker for a smaller setup.

7. I use the MB 112 because it's light, and the gigs I play with DB never seem to need much more amplification than it gives me. In fact, I never even have to crank it! I get a clean full, natural sound straight from the Revolution Solo pickup.

8. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I have the GK MB115, have used it for upright. It's fine, but I'm much happier using my Carvin MB10. The GK is very low-end heavy, which was constantly putting me in danger of feedback. The Carvin has a tighter, midrangier sound that works better for me with upright - less feedback, cuts through the mix of various jazz ensembles (including a big band). I still have the GK, as I think it's a nice amp for playing rock-n-roll with my electric basses.