Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which GK cabs: RBH vs SBX?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xcental34x, May 12, 2005.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm ready to get some new cabs fairly soon, and I'm set on GK, but I'm not quite sure which series would best suit me. I've owned the RBH series cabs before. They complimented by pick playing really well. But now I'm trying to switch completely to finger now, and people have told me that the SBX's are warmer than the RBH.

Another thing that I'm concerned about it power. I'm using a 1001RB-II, which is 700 watts at 4 ohms. I'm sure I want a 410 and 115 stack. Both series' 115 cabinets are rated at 400 watts, the difference is the 410s. The 410RBH handles 800 and the 410SBX is 400 watts. I'd no doubt be safe with power, but would there be really be a sound, tone, sonic, etc difference? Which would be more likely to push air?

~Patrick

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The SBX cabs are much warmer than the RBH, which are more open, suited for slap and pickstyle. I use the RBS which are the SBX without horns. If you're sure that 400 watts handling is enough, go for the SBX, if not, you can always use the SBX cab with RBH drivers, but that'll cost ya a pretty penny.

The SBX cabs are pretty loud, and I'm looking to replace my 115RBS driver with that from an SBX-II with the 400 watt handling.

All in all, they have their similarities as much as their differences. Both sound like GK, but the SBX cabs tend to be warmer.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Also keep in mind that I'll be using a 5 string, and I'm a nut on how full the B string sounds.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    so anyone got anything to add?

5. Just speculation, I haven't played on the SBX cabs, but since the RBH 4x10 cabs are ported and the SBX 4x10 cabs are sealed the RBH cabs should be louder. The sealed cabs will play lower than the RBH cabs, and the low B should be nice and full. I read somewhere that GK is working on a 410SBX-II cab. The 210SBX-II is rated at 400 watts, so the 410SBX-II should handle 800 watts like the RBH.

6. Larzon

Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Yes! Try the Neo Cabs - Sounds terrific!
    I'm using a 1001RB-II, Neo 115 + Neo 112. Very Fat, warm, punchy and TIGHT.
    I'm very satisfied with the GK Neo Cabs.

(notice that the B String is very important for me)

7. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    To be honest, I'm just not into the Neo's I've tried,