Which GK head for my 8ohm 4X10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Dec 22, 2003.

1. I'm looking for a great sounding, light amp that will power my SWR Goliath III cab. I gig bar rooms and sometimes large outdoor venues in my rock trio. Will a GK head into my Goliath give me enough power? Currently I'm used to a QSC RMX1450 based pre/power setup but I'm looking to go lighter and simpler.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. -I have A GK 1001 and it is vary powerful it 590 watts and sounds vary nice at all volumes.
  3. The GK 1001RB-II puts out 700 watts into 4 ohms and 460 watts into 8 ohms. It'll be plenty of power for your cabinet.
  4. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Either of the 1001s would work great. I have the 540 watt version, and it has tons of power. I am sure the II series would be even better. If you can't find the original at a discounted price, then I guess you will have to go with the new one.
    If you end up doing a search on the 1001, you will find some pretty good posts on it, as well as some on reliability. Most of the people on here have had very good luck with the GK stuff. A few haven't, and one or two people have ended up fixing their amps themselves. In the original series that I have, there was a resistor that came loose when the case was twisted. That problem has been fixed on the new model. I have never had an issue with the first series though. It seems like the GK stuff is good 99.9% of the time right out the the box. It's probably just me, but if it is going to die, it will be dead when you get it in the mail. That shows that it is UPS and not GK quality control. I would buy the stuff over and over again.
    If you see any of my posts were I wasn't happy with my sound and was asking about a ton of other heads and preamps, you can ignore them. I just recently got a new bass which completely changed the way I feel about the GK tone. I only wish I would have figured out that it was the bass all along before I dumped the money in the cabs and processors. Now I know that with just my Spector and the Rb1001 2x10 combo, I have all the tone that I need! And I think I would be even happier with your cab...
    here we go again,