Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which head (450-500w) do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Slayer bass, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Ampeg SVT-3

27 vote(s)
    40.3%
  2. SWR SM-500

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. Trace Elliot AH-500

9 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. Other

21 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Ampeg SVT-3
    SWR SM-500
    Trace Elliot AH-500

These three heads are available in a store close to where I live.
    Of course I will test them before buying, but I want some opinions here.
    I play basic rock, and punk rock, I like punch tones, but I want o good low frequencies response also.
    I own two Trace Elliot cabinets 1153 (1x15") and 2103H (2x10" with horn), both are 8ohms.

Thanks.

2. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I haven't played any of those listed, but also in that price range are the ashdown 300 and 500 watt heads. They have a great variety of very sweet tones. Just something to check out.

3. Trace amps never impressed me. If I had to choose from these three I'd go for SWR. Are you sure this is all you can test?

Good luck

Jure

4. I vote for Ampeg. I played one recently at a punk show, and it blew me away (although it can use a bit more power)

5. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ampeg SVT-III Pro. best sounding, very conservative power rating. for jamming with my insanely loud guitarist, i have the gain on about 12:00 and master at around 9:00. this is insanely loud. i am also running at only 8 ohms, so i'm getting about 1/2 the normal power. at 4 ohms this thing kills.

6. I dunno, i had the gain around 12:00 with master at 3:00 into a 4-ohm svt-410hlf cab with a Stingray . That was just loud enough for our show.

7. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    well i'm sure you had the -15 db pad in, and do you use the graphic EQ? theres alot of sweet spots that increace the volume. i turn the first three all the way up, and the level all the way up. it adds a huge boost.

8. turning the first three up would increase the bass/ mid-bass a lot. and yes, i had the 15db pad in because i was boosting the highs and lows on my stingray.

it was loud, no doubt about it. But i would've expected a bit more with 450w

9. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    hmm, thats odd. mine is loud as s*it. my ibanez is really hot, as hot as an active. i hit the -15 DB, and put the gain at about 60%. if my master hits about 12:00, the volume serioulsy rattles the pictures off the wall. all at 8 ohms... ampeg cabs aren't that efficient. you should try the 3 pro with a hartke 4x10 XL. it is a perfect combination. it goes down to 30 hz and sounds amazing.

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    SWR from the list,

alternative: Tech21 Landmark 600 amp. it has a RBI and Acoustic DI in one box with a 600w into 4ohm power amp. The tone going into the tech21 410 was BETTER than the tone of a RBI and Yamaha cp2000 going into an Eden 410xst. more tone options than the RBI

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Of those three, I choose the EBS Fafner. It's 440 watts into 4 ohms and 620 watts into 2. It does clean very well. It does gritty even better. It's the best of both worlds.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i've tried a few Trace Elliot heads, and i kinda like 'em. nice versatility, and if i'm not mistaken, the Trace Elliot has a blend knob for a tubey grind or a cleaner solid state punch.

problem is Gibson's horrible customer service, so you're pretty much screwed if you have an issue.

might as well go with the SWR, tho it might be more cleaner and crisper than what you'd need for punk. as for the Ampeg, i'm a total snob, and cant stand their stuff, unless its an SVT. :p

but a better rock/punk setup would be a used Sansamp RBI like Mcrelly mentioned, with a nice used QSC power amp, and you'd rock it pretty nicely at an affordable price. the RBI gives you that grindy rock tones, but cleans up nicely. killer combo.

13. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    It's difficult to tell 'cause you have trace elliot cabs, and i don't know how those combos will sound. I played trace 500smx head with trace cabs, and it didn't work for me. When I put ampeg 8x10" with it, ohhh,what a glorious sound it was, so if you have a chance to take your cabs with you in the store DO IT!

14. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    For your style of music -- Ampeg.

15. I voted for the SVT-3 Pro myself (I own one as well). For rock, metal, hardcore and punk music its more than perfect. It can do clean sounds but it excels in the grittier sounds. Make sure to run it at 4 ohms for maximum power. I also recommend two 4x10 cabinets (2x 8ohm) instead of one (4ohm); because of the increased sound pressure.

Try before you buy.

EBS has very awesome gear. They know what they design and all their material is very very versatile.

16. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I vote for the Trace Elliot. Funny, I like the Trace heads but not their cabs. I like swr cabs but not their heads. Ive played through alot of heads and the two I like the best so far are Trace and EBS.

17. I like the Euphonic Audio iAmp 500. I also quite like the Glockenklang Soul Top (440W).

Geoff

18. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    ashdown amb500, going for a little over $700 for a blemished one from musiciansfriend, that's a steal for a great head. who cares if it has a little ripped tolex for $700.

19. Do not buy the SVT-3 Pro.