1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which head AI or EA?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayer1960, Jan 16, 2012.

1. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

Feb 22, 2008
    I am looking to get more feedback with this question. I considering either an AI Claris or EA doubler to play through a Bergantino HD 210. I will be primarily playing a Pedulla fretless 4 (buzz) through this rig but will also play a fretless Rob Allen Mouse as well. Any ideas as to the better head for this Berg cab?

2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Moved to Amps.

3. Mike Arnopol

Mike Arnopol Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 4, 2005
    Chicago
    Owner of MAS Soundworks
    At least to me, The AI amps are darker and less punchy than the EA amps. OK for upright, but the EA amps sound much better on electric. It's a flatter hifi sound as opposed to the more colored sound of other amps---it's really not a good or bad thing---you just have to know the sound YOU are looking for.

4. tedw

tedw

Jun 13, 2006
    Northwest U.S.
    I have played my Mouse for several years using a Series III Clarus along with 1 or 2 Epifani UL-110's. Often, I use the Clarus direct out to the sound board with the post-eq engaged and master volume off (we have very good personal monitor systems at our church). If I don't use the Clarus and just use a direct box, my wife (a vocalist) complains about my tone immediately; and i have to agree with her. The Clarus just works really well with the Mouse, complementing the bass' organic sound.

I also am a P-bass player and use a Sans-amp along with the Clarus for this purpose. It works very well for me.

I'm not familiar with the EA products. I'm sure they are fine in their own way as well. I hope you get the chance to try both out.

5. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

Feb 22, 2008
    Mike, thanks for this feedback. BTW I've become a big Patricia Barber fan thanks to your great playing on her records!

6. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks and sorry.

7. bassplayer1960

bassplayer1960

Feb 22, 2008
    Thanks for your feedback.