1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which head, Ashdown MAG300 or Ampeg B2R?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by apmas, Apr 15, 2009.

1. apmas

apmas

Apr 13, 2009
    Im a new bassist, and looking to buy my first head. Im looking at used heads with a limited budget. Which of the two would you guys recommend? thanks a lot.

2. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Check out the Carvin heads if you can,

but between those two, I'd get the Ashdown, hands down. The B-2r(e) heads have NEVER sounded good to me, and they seem just underpowered.

All IMO and IME of course.

3. apmas

apmas

Apr 13, 2009

Carvin BX600? Is this better than both b2r and mag300?

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    neither... The B2R is not a real exciting sounding head. It has none of the ampeg thing you get from the SVT 3 Pro on up... I've had both the B2R and the B2Re. the R was way better tonally but not as loud. Better tonally is a measured sort of thing. For me, fine as a practice amp. As an amp to gig with ? not for me.

Now if you can find a used SVT III Pro that is another story. A great sounding amp. Not very loud for it's 450 claimed watts but - they are very good sounding watts ... once in a while III Pro's show in the $400 range ...

the Ashdown isn't exactly praised for it's reliability... to me the 'magi' Ashdown is the 500 EVO - sweet amp but not exactly 'budget'...

Used on a budget ? my advice would be GK 400/700/800 ... they sound great with most any cabinets, real easy to match up with. Built like tanks. Super reliable.

If you have a strong back then between $300 and $350 you should be able to put together a decent rack rig. Something like a QSC RMX 850 or maybe a Crown XLS series power amp and some basic preamp... My spare rig is like that. Ashley BP-41 and Crown XLS 602 not a lot of dough, heavy as hell (45 lbs in the rack) but reliable and great sounding. In my case the XLS was $250 and the pre was a hun - great deal on the pre. I scored an RMX 850 for $175 a while back. that one drives a sub in my PA - you just have to look carefully and of course ask advice here... Some of the pre-amps that show up used & cheap are from ART, yamaha, Peavey, BBE - you just have to keep the eye out for them...

5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I would say so. I have the BX1200 and it absolutely kills. Well built, great sound, versatile, huge bang-for-buck.
    I'd compare the BX600 more to the GK700rbII and MB's LMII. All are a step up from the Ampeg or the MAG.
    You just don't pay as much because they're factory direct.

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Hartke 3500's can be had cheap nowadays. I have one of these, and a MAG300...and the Hartke is my number 1.

7. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    I'd spring on the BX600, or a used BX1200. Check Carvin's ebay page also.