Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which head for a deep low end?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sethlow3, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Aguilar

11 vote(s)
    36.7%
  2. Ampeg

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Eden

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I am going to be in the market for a new amp soon. I am down to these 3 companies. (I've run searches)

Aguilar (a bit pricey)
    Ampeg (supposedly THE brand)
    Eden (leary of washburn owning them)
    I want clear defined tone with deep low end. Something versitile. I mainly play R&B, Rock, and Latin.

I play zon, fender, and acoustic bass.

Just need a good head for now, around 1000- 1300

2. This is going to be far more dependent on your cabinets, not your amplifier. What are you using currently?

3. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I need about 400-600 watts. I would like to match the head with the cabs. I am currently using an old trace elliot AH400SMX with trace elliot 410 and 118.

I am about to sell that rig to a student......

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yup,

course, we both use Acme cabs, so we'd know what deep low end truly sounds like. :cool: you could try Accugroove cabs, but they're pretty pricey. but they're another great option.

you could always go with a cab that has 15" speakers or to a degree 12" speakers. surprised to hear that you couldnt get a deeeeep low sound with that huge 1x18.

usually, just check the specs of the amp's low end knob or lowest frequency that the parametric EQ on the amp. the lower the better.

also, a little trick i've tried is to take an amp with a semi parametric EQ, usually a dip in the lower mids around 200-400hz does simulate the feel of a deeeeeep sounding bass. might not be as punchie, or as cutting in the mix as you'd like, but it does give the allusion of a deep sounding low end. its mostly about removing certain parts of the "inyourface" mids to get that far away, "sitting in the backseat" kinda low end.

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

If all you need is 400-600 watts, you might be able to score a used kern pre and a power amp to go with it for your price range. That would give you pretty fat low end, since that's what you claim you are looking for...

6. Big, deep, fat tone and loads of versitility , Ashdown all the way!

7. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    "In your face mids" with proper low freq is definately what brings that deep low end to me. The trace cabs sounded great with my friend's Ampeg SVT4, but very mid muddy with trace heads.
    I haven't tried any of these names everyone is listing like acme and ashdown. They must be worth a try. But as far as heads go, what are good matches for those brands? Or something that will bring out the best in any cab for my medium amp budget?

8. Shri

Shri

Feb 25, 2003
    France, Paris
    MESA BOOGIE!!!!!!!! great low end!! try one and you'll see

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The best deep low end is going to be the EA iAMP 800. That Deep switch is very useful, and doesn't bloat your tone to unusable levels, the way some similar low end boosts might. I would also think that Mesa Boogie would be great (like an M-Pulse 600), or if 400w will do you, the ThunderFunk head is drop dead awesome.

Of the three that you have listed, I would be inclined to vote Aquilar, but then again, I have not tried the Aggie heads (though I have tried Eden and Ampeg).

Tom.

10. Funkee1

Funkee1

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    None of the above!!! Get a Genz Benz GBE 600!!!!!!

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, but be careful with that. in the manual, it states, NOT to engage the deep switch at higher volumes, lest you'd want your speakers to suffer a damaging blow out.

but no doubt, i was thinking of my 800, when i was talking about the mids and whatnot. amazing the myriad of tones, and flexibility the 800 affords you. :cool:

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, that reminds me of an experience we had at a recording studio in Columbus, Ohio, back in the mid 90's. We had a late night recording session booked at a high end studio (Sisapa Studios, owned by J.D. Blackfoot), and it turned out that Damn Yankees were playing that night, and stopped by to warm up before the show. We missed them by less than 10 minutes, but I digress... Apparently, Ted has a unique manner of picking out which heads are worthy of him jamming through. He sets every gain (including EQ's) all the way up, cranks a power chord, and then pops the amp out of standby. The studio had four Marshall Platinum Series heads, two of which we were going to be using that night. Ted blew the tubes in three of them, so the engineer had to go get his Laney head for us to do our session.

So, in our band, whenever someone pops on the volume with the gain set way too high, they are accused of "pulling a Nuge." :bassist:

Tom.

13. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I demoed a Roscoe SKB3006 through an Aguilar DB359 and a Bergie 410 and I was TOTALLY floored by the tones this thing could get. I have never heard a better sounding setup than that. I've played through numerous Ampeg and Eden rigs as well--if you're going for FAT bottom end, NOTHING compares to Aggie IMO.

14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Bergie 410?

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Bergatino

16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I just got curious and looked at the Bergie (Bergantino ;) ) website and they actually don't make a 410. Looks like it was an HT322 that I played through (2x10 + 1x12). Either way--a tone to DIE for :D:bassist:

17. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I've been wanting to try out the iAMP 800 but haven't had a chance yet, seems to be a very nice head, by chance what would expect to shell out on one of these?
    peace
    -Ben

18. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    hmmm The I-AMP did blow my mind when I 1st heard it. The controls are kind of funny though. I found a 600 on sale used. I am also considring the new AG500, but I am unsure if it will live up to the hype. I know the EA can. I almost forget about that company.....

I never tried the whole "rock in your face mids" tone with one though. Anybody else have?