Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which head? GK 700rb or 800rb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sworn, Mar 21, 2003.

1. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    hey guys. I went to Guitar center today planning on getting the Gallien-Krueger 700rb head, with $650 bucks in my pocket. It turned out they didn't have it, but they did have the 800rb. After about an hour and a half of talking to the guy, we settled by him ordering the 700rb for me while I took the 800rb home while i waited for the other one to come. But I can keep the 800rb if I want! So I totally got a steal on this thing. $650 for the $750 head! But I'm not sure if I should still just go with the other one or not. the 800rb works at 300watts for lows, 100w for highs (biampable, which i won't use) and the 700rb at 380watts with 50watts for high. What should I do? go with the 100 bucks i saved or get 80 more watts?

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I would say find a place that has both of them and play them side by side. It's hard to build an argument against the 800RB and $650 for it new ain't a bad deal -- I've never played through a 700 though. More power, cheaper, more bells and whistles, less expensive...Play them side by side if you can in another shop and go from there, (if you can't find them side by side, toss a coin).

3. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have a 1001rb and just sold an 800rb which I've owned for over 12 years. I've also played through a 700rb.

In my opinion, it depends on your preferences. the 700 and the 1001 are designed to run the GK cabs with low end drivers and a single horn, like the 4 X 10" with a horn --- hence the 380 watt amp and the 50 watt amp. you only need 50 watts for those little horns.

The 800 was designed to power a cabinet combination such as a 15"s or 18"s cabs for lows and a 2 x 10" cab or 1 X 12 with a radial horn for highs, etc. With this combination, you need more power to push the high end cab, hence the 100 watt power amp. this cab combination was popular in the late '80s and early '90s.

Finally, and this is only based on my personal experience... the newer GKs (700 and 1001) have more low end and more high end than the 800.

IMHO, it comes down to what are your tonal preferences, and what kind of cabs are you going to use. My one small sugggestion to you is to buy the 1001 if they'll let you, for just a few dollars more you'll get a lot more usable power. trust me, it's worth taking the extra time to save the money. 340 watts into 8 ohms and 540 watts into 4 ohms.

There's TB member named Trip around here, hopefully he chimes in on this thread. I think he works at GK, and he knows his stuff.

4. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    GFAB, does the extra 240 watts @ 4 ohms make a huge difference? I've got an 800rb and have been looking at the 1001rb. Is the 1001rb more hi-fi sounding?

5. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Maybe not a "huge" difference", but I would say that it makes a noticable difference. It's nice to have the head room. I've never had to max out my 1001. Whereas one of my friends, who runs a 700 into an Epifani 3-10, has maxed his amp out on some louder gigs and wishes he bought the 1001.

The 700 and 1001 has superior tone compared to the 800. GK told me that, although the newer amps preamp looks the same as the 800, it really is different and provides more low end and high end. This very evident if you get to A / B the heads and push the highs and lows. As far as hi-fi sounding, these new GKs have their place in the grand scheme of things. They sound more hi-fi sounding than the old stalwart 800, but not as hi-fi sounding as an iAmp, EBS, or other high end heads and preamp / power amp combinations.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I PMEd Trip just yesterday and after he answered my question he told me he'd no longer be around these boards as he got laid off from GK. :(

7. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    ya know? for $100 more, I think I'm gonna go with the 1001rb. But is there anyone who could give me a good strategy on talking him down, real quick? thanks!

8. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    bump anyone?

9. Sworn

Sworn

Feb 27, 2003
    So Cal
    *later that night*
    jee thanks guys! btw guess who traded in the 800rb for the 1001rb for 100 bucks cheaper? ME! I dare not tell you how I did it. Thing's so lound and so nice! Go me!

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Welcome the brotherhood of 1001RBs!

Good going on your deal. You should teach the rest of us how to develop our negotiation skills.

Your gonna enjoy playing through that amp. When you have time, do a search for 1001 in the amp forum. There are some great threads on how to use the preamp volume control in combination with the master volume control for achieving different tone, and also, on how to use the boost control to get some growl. etc. etc.