1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which head is right for me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shamrock&roll, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Mesa Boogie V12

8 vote(s)
    10.7%
  2. MarkBass Little Mark II

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. Thunderfunk 550

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. Mesa Boogie 400+

33 vote(s)
    44.0%
  5. Have your friend build one

6 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. shamrock&roll

shamrock&roll

Feb 14, 2007
    California
    I've been using an Ashdown 900 EVO for about a year now. It's a great head, but it just isn't the tone I hear in my head and I'm not into lugging the thing around anymore. Weight isn't really an option, but the head is wider than my Ampeg 410 and that is soon going to be replaced by a Dr. Bass 2460, which is even thinner than the Ampeg. I checked the prices on some road cases that would house it and my rack gear and it was more than I wanted to spend due to the extra width of the head. I need a head that can be rackmounted. As I mentioned, weight isn't a huge factor as it will be in a tilt back road case along with my other rack gear with casters.

As far as my tone, I play mainly rock, but I've been digging the Motown and Stax tones lately. I play mostly at home and once a month at church and they don't like people messing with the EQ on the Ampeg Classic so it seems to make every bass sound the same. I like warmth, but I also like hearing the unique tone of each instrument. I would prefer a head that translates well into recording.

I've heard great things about each one of these heads. Obviously, the price of the LMII seems enticing compared to $1200 heads, but I more interested in what will work best in my scenario. It's quite a drive to test out the V12 and LMII so I'd prefer to know the general consesus before spending $3.59 a gallon to drive 3 hours round trip to Hollywood. I also have a friend who makes amps. He has built some amazing guitar amps and after he wraps up his '59 Bassman (for guitar), he offered to build me whatever I wanted as long as he can get the schematic and transformer and we'd just house it in a rackmountable shell. Depending on the head, it could be anywhere from $600 to $1200.

2. shamrock&roll

shamrock&roll

Feb 14, 2007
    California
    There is a vote for LMII, TFunk, and Boogie 400+...reasons?

3. I voted 400+. It can be very warm, but it can also do the hi-fi thing pretty well (as long as you aren't at volumes that would cause ears to bleed). Definately a great head worth checking out, but really you should see if you can try the heads out before buying.

4. I voted for the 400+ simply coz I LOVE tube amps & it DOES do the hi fi thing well as well as warm & wooly if U want!

$3.59 a gallon. SH**!!!!! Here it's just jumped up to $1.40/litre---now theres 4.5 litres to a gallon so we pay $6.40 a gallon:eek: Now why can't ALL the brown nosing our Prime Minister-Li'l Johnny howard does w/ G.Dubya Bush get out petrol price down :rolleyes:

Peace,
    Rod

5. shamrock&roll

shamrock&roll

Feb 14, 2007
    California
    Oh, I'll definately try them out. My only concern might be tube replacements with the 400+.

I would like to find out which one all you fine bassists think is right before I go spending $50+ on a tank of gas to try them out since they are in available in different directions. I don't know how I would try out a Thunderfunk. I should mention that I will be running a few pedals as well. I know the LMII doesn't have a mute switch, but I run a Sennheiser wireless system so I am used to muting the pack anyways.

6. shamrock&roll

shamrock&roll

Feb 14, 2007
    California
    You can take our housing costs, too. :) An average home here in the surrounding area is $500,000 (close to $600k AUD) and we're in a slump. In about a year, it will shoot up to about $650,000 (~$770k AUD). Ridiculous. I was actually going to move to NZ and plunk down $150k USD on a great home that a friend checked out, but a beautiful woman stopped me and kept me here. She says we can retire there or in Ireland/Scotland. :) I digress from the topic...

7. Well :meh: , I own an LMII and I haven't owned any of the others, so this is not a "comparision", but rather an "observation".

I would say that the Markbass amp can do all of those things that you specified above, very well. It will certainly illustrate the different tones of your basses. Each of my (3) Fender Precisions sounded radically different through this amp and that's not something that I've experienced before with any amp.

It can also be very warm, thanks to the "VLE" control, which cuts certain high frequencies, to replicate the sound of a tube amp through a big, old cab.

The low price, feather-weight and ultra-compactness, are just the icing on this very tasty cake (IMHO) ;) .

8. I voted for the Mesa 400 too :) MMMMmm

As for house prices... Thats what we pay too. In a city anyway. That is actually quite cheap. My brother just bought the outer shell of a house (no internals what so ever) in Sydney for $500,000. Don't even bother looking up house prices in Byron Bay.. Considering we are 3 hours from a city and any major population...You guys get it cheap over there... Living, products, you name it. And you earn US dollars to spend around the world online...

And back on topic.... ;)

9. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    Mike Lull Basses, Roscoe Basses, 64 Audio IEM, SIT Strings
    The V12 all the way! Can't fail with Mesa.

10. shamrock&roll

shamrock&roll

Feb 14, 2007
    California
    There's a lot of tube Boogie and half as many Little Mark II and TFunk votes. So maybe I'll head down to Hollywood soon to test them out. I believe the Hollywood GC has MarkBass equipment, correct?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021