Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which head should I go for

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BBRetro, Mar 2, 2005.

1. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    I'm getting a new head and i have around 800-900$ :)
    now ... i ran down to...
    - SWR workingpro 700
    - SWR 350X
    - Ampeg SVT 3Pro
    - Ampeg B 500 DR
    - Ampeg SVP 1600
    which one should i get??? :confused:
    I play Metal and hard rock :ninja: ..... the sound i'm looking for is something like Ryan Martinie's sound(MudVayNe) :bassist:
    help me out here :help:

thanks
    :D

2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Of the SWR heads you mentioned, I'd personally go for the WP700 over the 350X.

As for recommending a good head with lots of versatility, lots of watts/headroom under $900, well I've got a good one for you my friend. Well, then again, nevermind, I've pushed my head too much in other threads according to another out here! :D

3. how about the kustom groove 1200 head!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Quadzilla

You got me dude! :D ;) :)

5. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The SVP1600 is just a power amp. You'll need a preamp with that.

6. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    yay! Mudvayne!

Well... Ryknow uses an Ampeg SVT-2Pro.... but it costs a trillion dollars, and that friggon sucks. But there is a very cost effective way around it.

You can buy the Ampeg SVP-Pro, which is the preamp of the 2Pro. And then you can combine that with a power amp. DONT get the SVP1600... its a wicked ripoff for any power amp.

The SVP-Pro is $500 new. A QSC RMX1450 power amp is $400 new.
    Now..... call me a nut-job, but I believe that's about $900 on the spot :smug:. It wont have the Ryknow flare that I'm sure your in love with.... because he uses a tube amp.... but this is a really close option, as far as SolidState goes. PLUS, you'll have a potential 1400Watts at your disposal... you definately wont have to worry about being heard every again.

Obviously, another factor that contributes to Ryan's tone is the Warwick.... that would also help.

SWR heads are sort of hi-fi. And I dont think that fits your description too much.

The 3Pro sounds very good, but you will probably be kicking yourself in the arse if you try to play live with it (in a metal band). It just wont work out dude.... 450Watts is a lot, but not with the 3Pro, apparently. It wouldnt be worth the massive investment. I'm into hardcore and Metal... and trust me when I say you have to adjust what you consider to be "loud enough" when you think of playing out. Everything is louder.... the vocals (screaming), the drums (double bass), and the guitars (Heavily Distorted Halfstacks).

The power ratings for the RMX are:
    Stereo: 280Watts per side @ 8ohms, 450Watts per side @ 4 ohms, and 700Watts per side @ 2 ohms.

Mono: 900Watts @ 8ohms, and 1400Watts @ 4 ohms.

Take the power. It's cheap, and you'll probably need it. The SVP-PRO should please your ears.... look up some info on it on TB.

P.s. What is your cab situation?

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Ashdown MAG, or a used ABM one if you can find one.

Explanations ? Why choose between the SWR world and the Ampeg world, since Ashdown heads are sooooooo versatile ?

Sorry...
    ;)

8. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Another thought: You MIGHT be able to pick up an SVT2-pro USED for about $900, but you'd need to retube the thing sometime soon.... which would cost you a pretty penny. I guess it all depends on if your willing to divebomb your money into trying to get that sound. Plus, the 2Pro weighs 80lbs and has a slight history of being unreliable.

Its just an idea.... I dont think it'd be worth it to be honest. :meh:

9. Special_Ed

Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    Buy a Yorkville xs800h for 650 and use the rest of your cash to rent a hooker.

10. Quadzilla

I had to do it. I couldn't take it anymore! :bawl:

Clickity Click Me!

11. BBRetro

BBRetro

Sep 19, 2004
    i'm using a streamer Jazzman now....mmmm...
    now....what about EDEN? are there any good one below 900$?
    I'm also very interested inthe SVP-PRO plus QSC RMX1450 ....
    sound very interesting...
    thanks a lot guys

12. Ashdown is the way to go, more versatile than muddy Ampeg