1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which head with an Epifani UL-310?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timmyc, Nov 5, 2006.

1. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    I really love my new cab and now am trying to find a head that will match the power and quality. At the moment I am using an Ashdown MAG 300 but it sounds a bit farty/grainy/wooly for my liking, it also doesn't have enough headroom. I am after a clean but warm sound with plenty of lows and power to match, a modern sound but not super hifi.

At the moment I have the opportunity to buy these second hand.

Eden WT-800 (not B) I am leaning towards this one at the moment and I just wondered if anyone has any experience with this and the 310 together? It is the older one so cannot be bridged but has had some mods so it can now deliver 600 watts on each side which is good.

EA iAmp 500 - From what I can tell from different forums this amp seems cleaner and not so warm. Also less power.

What you guys think?

2. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    the rig im thinking of stepping up to eventually will pair the ul3x10 with either an eden 550 or a thunderfunk 550.

3. +1 on the T-Funk and you may want to consider an Epifani UL502 as well....

Peace,

T

4. +1 on the Thunderfunk in a big way.... it works GREAT with that cab... with the very mid present voicing of the TF balancing out the rather wide sound of the 310UL... and the power match-up is perfect... plenty loud and punchy IMO.

I'm sure the 502 would sound great, given it's made by the same company, but have never had the pleasure to check it out.

Regarding the 800... the older 800 can be bridged, but only into an 8ohm cab... so that wouldn't work with the 5.3 ohm 310UL. The 800(b) would work but IMO is overkill for that cab. The Eden WT550 is perfect for that cab if you are looking for a little more warmth and bloom in the low end, and a little more treble 'tube sweetness' vs. the Thunderfunk. They both put out about the same volume.

I used an iAmp800 with the 310UL for a while and it wasn't really my thing.... not that it sounded bad at all, just a little too clinical sounding for me with that particular cab. Also, the way the 310UL is voiced made the presets totally useless on the iAmp IMO (they work quite well with some of the EA cabs though)... not doggin' on the iAmp... just not the best matchup IMO with the 310UL.

5. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    Cool thanks. The T-funk sounds cool but I am in the UK and would prefer not to buy from the States as it just complicates things, there are no EU dealers at the moment for TF. It sounds like Eden is what I want!?

More opinions are welcome

6. Sorry... I didn't realize you were 'across the pond':)

If you could find an Eden WT550 ( or a used WT400) or an Eden405, IMO you would be VERY happy!

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I used the same head with the same cab, while i was waiting for my new amp stuff to arrive. Now i use a Demeter HBP-1 through a Crest CA6. Sounds great.

I think you'd be happy with Eden stuff, the TF may be a bit too hifi. EA stuff is very clean and clear.

8. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    Also an EBS HD 350 has popped up which may be suitable

9. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    +1...those small Eden heads sound killer with the 310UL. My personal favorite is the 405...I really love the eq section on that amp.

10. That's a nice head. I used one for a very short while with the 310UL. The EBS voicing is very aggressive, somewhat scooped, with lots of treble zing if you want it. I never could get a warm mid punch dialed in with that head and the 310UL... the single band of semi parametric mids just didn't fatten it up quite enough for me. Also, the lower wattage of that head (it would put out about 300 watts into the 310UL is noticable vs. the larger Eden and Thunderfunk in low end ooomph.

On the positive side, very well made, and a GREAT on board compressor... probably the best I've ever experienced.

11. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    Thanks that's very helpful, but many have said it's more like 500 than 350 volume wise

12. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    How about the 400, there is one of them flying around second hand which I could pick up?

13. It's a good head, and it is a loud 350 watts... but in A/B with the Thunderfunk... it wasn't even close. This could have to do somewhat with the mid voicing of the TF that makes the apparant volume louder, versus the somewhat scooped voicing of the EBS, which requires more watts to punch through a mix.

Don't get me wrong, the EBS350 is a GREAT amp, and the drive control (tube emulation overdrive) can add a pretty nice amount of warmth and grit. However, the modern voicing of that amp (deep bass, very hi fi treble) seemed to interact with the rather modern voicing of the 310UL to my ear to be 'a little much'.

Per your comment on the Eden400.... that's a great head, and was recently replaced by the WT550.. which has the same preamp, just more power. As mentioned above, the Eden heads are very mid-warm and punchy, with a little bit of 'tube' tone in them due to the tube in the pre. I would think the volume level of the WT400 and the EBS350 would be very similar into that cab... with the Eden being a little more mid punchy and warm, and the EBS being a little quicker, deeper in the low end, and sizzlier up top. Both are great, and very different sounding IMO.

14. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    Why not a Mark Bass Little Mark II? Easy to get in your neck of the woods, very light, inexpensive and kicks serious booty from what I've heard.

15. Being a bit biased I would of course go for the iamp500.... but I think the one you are thinking about in the FS section on the other bass forum is sold... :)

the ebs is nice but very scooped would lack some fundamentals with the 310. I'd go for a thunderfunk (planning to get one myself soon, or maybe a focus III...have you triedf them?

Cheers,
    Carl

16. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Since you're across the pond in the UK, I believe the store is called the Gallery, you can check out the Epifani PS600, 600 watts and 8 lbs. Fretlessbob would know the place, you can send him a PM, I'm surprised he hasn't chimed in yet, he's getting slow. :bag: :hyper: He has a Markbass amp and just got the UL502

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276753&page=22 with his UL410.

Page 2 has a photo of it.

17. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    Yeah the gallery is a great shop but about 3 hours door to door unfortunately.

18. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    That's what I have to travel to get to the S.F. Bay area to check anything worth while. But I check out those stores at the same time I go to Stanford my cancer treatments.

19. I didn't like the EBS HD-350 through the Epifani stuff at all. It sounded harsh, very harsh. The UL502 and TFB-550B both slayed the EBS HD-350 through the epifani cabs.

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    My Eden WT-550 would sound nice with that cab.