1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which head would be best for Aguilar cabs? Need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DraVenSF, Apr 18, 2006.

1. I'm looking to buy an Aggie GS 412 and later add on a GS 212 or 115...but I'm not so sure about the head. The DB 750 looks good enough but the price is way too much for me at the moment. So what other options would be suggested?

My sound is along the lines of Tool/Jane's Addiction...I'll play both finger style and with a pick, sometimes with some small overdrive or sometimes clean and deep. What head would you suggest?

I'm not very familiar with different types of manufacturers out there besides Ampeg and Aguilar. I've heard Aguilar is best with Aguilar but not sure if someone has tested out mixing their cabs with other peoples heads.

Hope to get some responses
    thanks in advance

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  3. aguilar heads would always be nice to comploment an aguilar cab(s). But like you said they do cost an arm and a leg new. You may be able to find a used DB750 for around $1500-1700, which is still expensive but at least not the $2300 new they run.

if that is still to much money i would also check out the Mesa 400+. They can go for real cheap on the used market, all tube, loud as hell, great for rock, and its mesa haha.

Ampeg is nice too and always is a great choice. I'm a big fan of all tube and hybrid heads so i would check out the SVT-cl, SVT pro 2, and the SVT pro 4.

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Carvin's big head has gotten some rave reviews around here and it's 1/3 the price of the DB750.

If you DO go 750, I'd recommend a new one, since you get a 10 year warranty with a new one--and they can be found new for $2000 to $2100 if you look around.

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    why not the aguilar AG500?

switching to the OD channel w/ the saturation on "0", deep switch on, and mids pulled out a tad, you can get some awesomely tube like tones. dig in a touch, and it'll grind w/ a nice sweet feel.

6. +1 on Joker's suggestion. I love me my AG500.

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I think almost any high quality equipment would work good with aguilar cabs, just depends on the tone you want. here is my experience with my GS112s with various equipment...

GS112+GS112NT + Tech21 RBI/STewart world 1.2 = loud, punchy hi-fi sound? not real heavy, but articulate.

GS112+GS112NT + Eden WT330 or wt300 = medium loud, warm, rounder (300), less punchy than above.

GS112+GS112NT + Eden WT550 = Loud, can go really loud with more cabs, warm, round, more punchy than 300's...

GS112 + Aguilar AG500 (demo'd at dealer's house) = similar, but nicer tone, warmer? than RBI/stew, light wt., not sure about total volume, probably close to 550 because ag500 is (500w into 4, eden 550 into 4).

my favorite so far is the WT550 for its power and versitility of situations. although the Wt300 (1994 model) was fuller heavier sound potential, but limited in total volume.

8. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    With the 12" cabs you want an amp with strong mids, like an AG500 or a GK. With the 10" cabs, any head will sound good, but a full range amp with a traditional power supply will sound best. My GS410 loves to be fed with one side of a crest CA9.

9. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    I love my Ashdown ABM 500 through my Aguilar GS212.

~John

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I own GS112s a GS410 and previously owned a GS115. Needless to say aguilar heads usually sound best with their cabs. Of non-aguilar stuff, I would look first at Mesa, both the big block and the 400+ and would next, look at eden.

Aguilar cabs to my ears are similar to eden cabs except cleaner and not as much midrange bump. Definitely look at tube amps and tube/hybrid amps.

11. bagman

bagman

Sep 28, 2005
    SE Florida
    I also play throught a GS412, what a great cab. I run a GK 1001RB for power. This rig has the best sound & tone I could ever ask for. I don't won't to apear smug, every other rig, in my option, does not hold a candle.

Do your self a favor, drag that beast to a store and power yourself some up power & tone with a GK 1001RB.

Let us what you think.

12. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I currently dig my DB750, however...

I'm going to also toss up another vote for G-K. I've had a 400RB-series head through a gs410 as my main rig multiple times. Ever time I've been more and more pleased. I've said it before and I'll say it again, GK and Aguilar sound awesome together.

But I still love my DB750.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Mesa 400+ or maybe even an M-Pulse 600. I've heard this rig live and wow it really kicks.

Or, getcha Demeter pre and a Stewart power amp! That though anything sounds just damn fine!

14. I just recently aquired a Vintage Ampeg SVT...

I play on an GS412 paired with an Aguilar DB728/680 power/pre setup.
    This is a very clean massive sounding combination. I love the sound it very articulate and with the 12's it just sounds massive.

Now back to the SVT...I have never been much of a ampeg fan (based of gear ive tried at stores which was all new.)

Since plugging in the SVT to my GS412 I was blown away! I have found multiple settings that all sound amazing and have that rock tone I love. The Ampeg with the Aguilar is more a grungier robust sound compared to the clean and large sound of the Aguilar with Aguilar.

Over all...One of these amps is going to be sold...at the moment my heart is siding with keeping the Ampeg. The final showdown awaits this weekend!

-Vince