Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which head would you choose?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rayzak, Dec 11, 2004.

1. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I recently and regretably sold my Aguilar DB359. Now I want to replace it. I've been considering a few different heads but haven't the opportunity to play them all yet. I play mostly classic rock, blues, and modern rock. Any suggestions are welcome but these are the major players so far: Aguilar AG550, Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II, Eden WT550, and the Thunderfunk. I'd like to keep it under about $1200. Oh, and I'll be playing it through a 4ohm Aggie GS212. Kinda like the idea of the Eden going down to 2ohms if I wanted to add another cab, but let me know what you'd all do. Thanks.

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    May I ask, "Why give up the 359?" Volume? Tone?

3. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Those are all killer heads. For the kind of music you play, I would think you would like the Eden or Thunderfunk best. I chose the TF myself, becuase it's got great punch, *very* useable controls (although you don't need to move much from flat) with that awesome "timbre" knob - and, it sounds great with my Bergs. I haven't heard it with the GS12s, but I would be very surprised if that were not also a good pairing.

Don't be fooled by the TFunk's 400 watt rating - it is *very* conservatively rated (in other words, it kicks some serious booty.)

4. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Hey Folmeister,
    Ya know when you make a decision in life that in retrospect you look back at and you can't even really explain to yourself why you did something. Maybe it's not asking a girl out, drinking "just one more beer" before driving home, or selling a piece of gear that you were very happy with but didn't think you'd regret? Well, this was one of those times that I feel like kicking myself in the @ss. I loved that amp but thought I needed the $$$. Big mistake.
    Hey Dude, thanks for the reply. I know that you know your gear and your 2 cents is worth much more to me.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    don't forget the EA iAmp800, IMHO

6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Don't forget the GK 1001RB-II. More power than any you mentioned and only $600. Think of what you could do with the extra money!!! :hyper:

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    all great heads. see if you can try them out side by side. if you cant get them all in the same shop, see if you can try all of them by process fo elimination. for example, if you can try the eden, and aggie in one shop, make notes, then try the aggie and thunderfunk in another shop, take notes, etc. It's kind of like being in an ice cream shop and calling your freinds because you cant decide what flavor to get. we can all tell you what our favorites are, but just because 6 out of ten prefer chocolate doesnt mean that that's going to be your favorite. Get the nice lady at the counter to let you try a few flavors 1st. you'll be happier that way. ;)

8. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have a DB359 so I know how it sounds... I have an Eden WT300 also... I've spent so quality time with the AG500 and its a good amp but it's definitely doesn't sound like the other Ag tube offerings... It warm but not the same. The Eden's not bad... but to this day, I still can't get a gerat sound out of my into my bergantino cab (sounds great into an eden cab of course)
    The ashdowns sound great but a little different sounding than the others...I've only read reviews about the thunderfunk and everyone has been the same...Try to the thunderfunk or eden... I don't think a few others mentioned (GK and Iamp800) will not give you the tone you are looking for.

9. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Hey bro,
    I too have a DB359. I had problems with mine at first, the smart card kept tripping, but I believe that was due to the fact that it got way hot in it's 2-space rack bag. I've found that if I bring another external fan and blow that on the power tubes it doesn't lob off when I'm jamming. Aguilar said there is no thermal sensor on this amp, but you know that when tubes get really hot they don't run very efficient, and the current flow can fluctuate, which causes the kinds of problems that the smart card would sense. Ever since that problem went away, I can't be happier with the tone, the only exception being that it picks up alot more buzzing than a solid state amp (it is my first all tube amp). Mostly light noise and stuff from active electronics or poorly grounded pickups. But it is the best sounding amp I've ever played on, hands down. If I had one wish it would be for the parametric mid section of the DB680 to be on this amp. But on the other hand, less controls makes it easy to find a great tone. That being said, and you loved your Aguilar, I am planning on buying me an AG500SC real soon, as soon as it's available. I don't think I'll like the distortion on the AG500 based off of what everyone says, I'll save my money and get me a Fulltone Bass Driver instead. I think if you like Aguilar go that route, those amps will be out soon. Now as for the Eden, I hated the WT400, but the WT800 sounded good, but not an overall good impression on their stuff. As for the others, the GK sounds good, but go with the AG500 if you're going that route. Haven't tried a Thunderfunk, but I think if you were happy with your DB359 you should stick to Aguilar. One amp I used to have was an Ampeg SVT-3Pro, and that was a nice amp, had alot of features and a tubey sound, I liked it better than the SWR SM-500 I had. Well all I can say is good luck. ;)

10. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I prefer the sound of the Thunderfunk. The Aguilar AG550 sounds nice but requires a great deal more tweaking to dial in different sounds than TF. Also, IMO, the tone isn't as warm/phat sounding on the Aggie as the TF. Reguardless of which bass I play, a quick turn of either/both the "enhance" or "Timbre" control and I've got a killer sound. The tone is awesome and it is IMO simply the best plug and play amp available.
    I've only owned one Eden amp (WT-800) and it did have the one magic knob you could use to dial in some nice quick sounds. I didn't keep mine very long and didn't have any trouble with it (although there was a RA number written on the box) but I've just had too many friends that have had problems with their Edens to feel real comfortable with them.
    Never tried the Ashdown amps. Give the Thnderfunk a try. I think Dave still has a deal that allows you to try the amp for several days to make sure you like the sound. If you don't like it you can send it back for a full refund minus shipping cost.
    If you buy one, you won't send it back! ;)