Which Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dirk, Apr 22, 2001.

1. dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    After saving up some money this summer I plan on making an upgrade in my rig. Right now I have a Carvin Pro Bass 200 w/ the 15" speaker. For Cabs I intend to go with the Peavey 410 and the 210, so I'll have six 10s and I can mix and match with a head depending on the gig and how much power I'll need. I've also considered hooking up my 15 from my Carvin and Daisychaining the 410 and 210 cabs and biamping it, to see if I like the sound and maybe getting the Peavey 115 cab a little later. The only problem with this is I don't know what head to get. I know a guy that has a Audiophile Musicman head that he said he would sell me for cheap. the Peavey Firebass head also looks very good. I've also considered a Carvin R1000 or the SWR Workingman 4004. In the humble opinions of the talkbass users, which of these heads is the best bang for the buck and would push these speaker combinations the best? Thanks for your imput.

2. captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    if it were me, i'd get the carvin 1000. loads of power, and you can bi-amp, run stereo, or bridge (watch the impedence). also lots of eq and other features. there seem to be many satisfied carvin users on this board. and if you don't like it you can always send it back (except you're out shipping). you might consider carvin cabinets also - good bang for the buck.

i don't mean to ramble too long, but if you're buying peavy cabs, you might check out their 4x12 (!). talk about a nutsack! somebody posted a picture of it awhile back - check the fourth set of threads under 'i think i've found my dream cab' or something like that.