1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DeadRBassistNJ, Mar 1, 2008.

1. I play metal at bars and clubs with 2 guitarists who use 100w tube heads/4x12 setups, so it needs to get loud. I've been playing through a Peavey Firebass at 2ohms with Avatar B410 Neo and 212 delta LF cabs. It has been loud enough which was my primary concern before, but the tone is lacking when it's time to record. I have my selection narrowed down to 3 amps- the Peavey VB-2, Traynor YBA200, or Carvin B1500. I like a clear but forgiving sound with some girth. Ive played a couple shows with the Traynor YBA200 and it almost wasnt loud enough but I liked the sound. If anyone has any other suggestions in that price range they are welcome

2. rudedogg

rudedogg

Mar 23, 2007
    Is the VB-2 out yet...if it is, get that, and tell me if you like it! Sorry for the useless reply, but man do i want to try that amp. I have never used the amps you've mentioned so cant honestly answer the question. Is the Vb-2 out yet????

3. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Wow, you have two mid-powered tube choices and then throw this giant SS amp into the mix!

If the Traynor is almost not loud enough for you, then the Peavey won't be, either. 25w isn't enough to make much of a difference at those volumes. But with the Carvin, you're substituting a ball peen hammer with a wrecking ball!

My personal opinion? Look for a deal on a used SVT. You want tubes obviously, and while 200w at 4 ohms (don't know what it translates to at 2 ohms) may not be enough, 300w might. Besides, it's THE tube amp sound. And while those three brands are good for the money, they're not SVT quality.

Alternately, you could get a solid state or hybrid head with more wattage, but geez, that Carvin amp is way overkill. You'll never ever come close to needing that much power in your situation. And if you do, you're better off getting more speakers instead.

But I really think that what you're looking for is an SVT. You can find used Classics at the price of the Peavey new, and vintage SVT's go for about the same price as a new Classic ($1500) or less.

4. Thank you for the response Rob. I heard a lot of good things about the carvin, it's in my price range, AND it runs at 2ohms but you are right that it would probably be overkill/death sentence to my cabs.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Dude, you're practically ASKING for a used SVT.

300watts tube that will run at 2 ohms. A 400+ could give you the push you desire as well.

Either would weigh about as much as your cabinets.

Don't forget about power amps. QSC RMX-1450 would run you about $300, and would pump 450 into EACH cab. You would have to run in stereo.... but I don't see how 900watts would ever fail you.

Selling your Firebass would probably give you enough money for a preamp.

6. AND EARS!!!:D

7. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Definitely get the B1500!

Its an awesome amp. If you're careful with you're volume knob it should be fine. Lots of metal guys love it. You can never have too much power... and headroom.

8. I agree, the next logical step from the 200W Traynor is to the SVT or the Mesa. There are other options, too (V-4, Sunn, etc.) Try as many amps as you can, would be my advice.