1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which head!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeyZ, Mar 4, 2010.

1. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    There's quite a few usable amps in my price range and i'm stuck wondering what you guys think would be a good...or the best choice.
    I'm in a band similar to Trap Them, Converge, Cave In, Coalesce,etc.

WARWICK PROFET 5 500W
    HARTKE LH1000
    SWR BASS 350X
    No Ampeg 350H boooooooooooo
    YORKVILLE XS400 BASSMAST
    GK700RBII

What do you think?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's a matter of personal preference, (yours), and not so easy for anyone else to choose for you. I would certainly cross off the Ampeg though.

3. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    you may want to add a GK or two to your list. IMO, an 800RB, 700RBII or 1001RBII aren't all that expensive (new, or especially used) for what your getting for the $.

4. What kind of bass and cab(s)

5. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    Fender Jazz Bass
    Ampeg BSE410HLF

I've always wanted a 700rbII but can't find one in the area right now...

6. Get a Sansamp RBI preamp no mater what head you go for. I'll also agree to cross off that ampeg.. I'm not a fan.

Look into an ampeg svtiii(3) that should be enough power and it'll give you good tone

7. PDK

PDK

Nov 14, 2008
    Cleveland TN
    I used to have the Ampeg 350H. I like some of there other stuff but this head gave nothing but problems. Also you might want to put up Genz Benz!

8. ShawnStones

ShawnStones

Nov 24, 2008
    Rockford,Il
    Check out the Carvin stuff as well.

9. g4string

g4string

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Carvin B1500.......read up on it, it's that great of an amp!! Plus, you can snag one used for $400-$500.

10. I myself use a 410HLF, it sounds boomy and earth shattering with my Sunn Concert Bass when I play through the power amp input.
    The Concert Bass is also Solid State like a lot of these, if you can strap the cash usually no more than $350-$500 I'd look into something a little older along the lines of this. I also like the sounds of the older Traynor & Acoustic SS heads. For the right amount of money you can get something with vintage mojo and more than enough power and experience to bring down the house somethin' proper.

11. just got one for $425 shipped! I can not wait!

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020