Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which headphones for tracking in LOUD environments?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Marvinisbass, Dec 23, 2005.

1. I need to buy some closed headphones for working with a DAW in loud environments such as clubs and rehearsal rooms with loud drums, bass and distorted guitars. I know there are headphones for these applications that eliminate all (or most?) external sound but thats all. Please help me with some model names etc.

2. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    For good sound isolation in high volume applications, I highly recommend the Sennheiser HD280 Pros. Very good sounding headphones that fit tight over the ears to keep the outside sound out, but they are still comfortable enough to wear for hours. They sound great new, but even better after they are broken in. Only thing I don't care for about them is the coiled cord, so I use an extender cord to give me more slack.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    If you wanted to rely on some headphones that could possibly color the sound a bit, those bose noise cancelling headphones are good, I hear. They basically have a mic and amp system built in that inverts external noise and puts it through with the signal souce to cancel out the outside noise. but I am not sure what kind of phase interactions that would cause seeing as you are monitoring the thing that the heaphones are cancelling out.

4. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Sony MDR-7506 is worth a listen.

5. photoguy

photoguy

Sep 14, 2011
    You may want to check out JamPlugs, which are basically earplugs and earphones combined. They block out ambient noise, and seal in the audio from your player. I work in a fairly loud environment (automotive factory), and I love them!

Hope this helps : )

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm using Shure SRH840s these days.

7. pilmat

pilmat

Jan 30, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    In-ear monitors will give you the best sound insulation, plus they can be easily combined with earmuffs. If it HAS to be earphones, closed back models are the ones to be looking for, and of course models that cup your whole ear.

My pair of choice is Prosonus DJ1 Pro, not too much coloring and good sound isolation.

8. Any headphones with an ambient noise reduction system won't help too much when needing to reduce the noise caused by a band! The noise needs to be consistent so it can 'null' it out with a clever phase system. It won't be able to do this with evolving musical passages and rhythms, it'll probably end up sounding pretty weird!

For background noise of machinery or fairly consistent chatter or traffic they work well of course, but the key is consistency.

Not sure what I'd really suggest, senn DT100's are pretty much the industry standard still for a lot of big studios, they are very robust and can go pretty loud and are fairly well isolating. You see em a lot in studios for that reason but they are not that great sounding, I wouldn't want to have them as my only pair of 'phones!

9. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
  10. The ones on the bottom, vic Firth stereo isolation headphones work well.

Vic Firth Isolation Headphones

Similar to the previously posted ultraphones, but 1/3 the price. Offers 24db of protection instead of 29db though.