Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Headstock do you like better for a 6?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, Apr 2, 2002.

23 vote(s)
    47.9%

25 vote(s)
    52.1%
  1. Which one of these Conklin headstocks for a 6 string bass do you like more?

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas

w00t, I was the first to vote!

I like assymetry sometimes.

Conklin rules. Go conklin.

5. I just like #1.

6. I actually saw your name on the active users list, and then thought about your avator photo, and thought to myself, if anyone is going to respond to this, Tufnuts will. :D

7. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    4+2 has always seemed to me like stretching a point a bit much. I like the 3+3 better.

Now, the 4+3 on the Conk 7's... those look REALLY cool.

8. I don't mind a bit of assymmetry, but the 4+2 arrangement just always looks lopsided to me...

9. Hah! Ya got me all figured out. Doh. I'm not always that happy/excited.

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well.. I chose #2.. but #1 looks pretty cool.. but hey, they are both conklins.. can you really go wrong either way??

I didn't think so either :)

11. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm, usually I wouls say 2 but I really like the way 1 looks.

12. I liked the 4&2 better. Normally I would prefer a 3&3, but for some reason I thought the 4&2 looked so much better.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'll go with #2. I like #1 (It's just like my TL-6, see pic), but for that Headstock shape, I feel 3+3 works better.

[​IMG]

14. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    On this particular model the 3+3 looks better to me. On more Fenderish headstocks 4+2 are likely to look better.

By the way I'm having a 6-string jazz-based bass built. It will have an unusual combination of 4 elephant ears + 2 gearless Steinberger tuners.

15. 4+2 just looks a little.. i dunno.. " tougher ".. :)

16. yup, I agree, nr. 1 for me...

17. LowF#

LowF# Guest

Apr 2, 2002
    Midwest USA
    Number 2 for sure. I have always liked headstocks to look as equal as possible. Unless its a 9 than that bad boy can do whatever it wants!:D

18. I like 4, 3+1, 3+2, 3+3, 4+1, but for some reason, 4+2 looks stoopid to me....I definitely prefer the 3+3.....

Eli - yeah, the 4+3 Conklin 7's do look damn cool...

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    3+3 is recommended IMO, cause it's easier to make sure that the strings go straight over the nut to the tuners. If there's an angle at the nut, the strings won't stay in tune that good, and it can put unnecessary strain on the strings.

20. Definitely #1! It's much cooler.

Lisa