1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Hellboy did you like better?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IconBasser, Mar 26, 2009.

1. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    after watching both recently, I have to say that I enjoyed the second one a bit more than the first. It was a funner movie overall IMO.

for me anyway, this is the only example of when a sequel has been more enjoyable than the original.

2. I liked the second one better. Seemed they refined the whole script more and it came off a bit more serious plot wise, but with more funny comic relief and better character interaction. Not a million times better or anything, but it seemed to me they polished things up a bit and this is one ofhte rare times a sequel grew on the story instead of rehashing it and killing the whole idea.

3. knarleybass

knarleybass Commercial User

Apr 6, 2005
    Tustin, CA
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I liked the first one better, it was darker, and the second one seemed like they were trying to make it a little too tongue and cheek funny

4. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    the Golden Army was better, but I still like the first one.

why? two words:

Troll Market

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh man I thought the first one just killed the second one. Enjoyed both but the first one was rawer and less polished. Some stuff in the second one was just too silly. Overall the second was a bit too polished or something.. Or maybe trying a little too hard.

bc

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hmm... if I had to pick, the first. Clockwork Man is distilled awesome.

but the spear fighting in GA was top notch.

troll market? well... :atoz:

I don't wanna critisize Guillermo too much cause of all the other awesome he does.

7. Skeletomania

Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    Am I the only one who felt like his head either got bigger or his body got smaller in hellboy 2?

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

The sequel is more than decent.
    I prefered #1 though, mostly because they turned Kroenen (initially a rather sloppy character) into the most frightening villain ever.

9. I liked number 2, I did see that one first though so that might be why. The troll market was great though, with one of my favourite lines "I'm not a baby, I'm a tumour"

That said kroenen was a great character, but then so was that troll from Ireland that liked shiny things :D

10. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Both had good points. hard to choose

11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Liked em both, liked the first one a little better. The princess and the troll market were good, but I wasn't sold on the golden army itself.

12. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    #1 a little bit better, but not by much. Both were good IMO.

13. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    naw, I noticed that too. He seemed a little disproportional.

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts

Yes.

It was more of a solid story, whereas the second, tho good, was an eco-cautionary tale, that has been done better in other films (like Lord of the Rings for instance), and it seemed like Guillermo was more about the visual, and extending character concepts not fleshed out fully in Pan's Labrynth... I dunno. It had its own story, I just liked the 1st better. It was grittier and freakier to me. #2 a little too "and the kitchen sink" over the top.

I chose #1.