1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which high end 5 string bass to purchase?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dumpster Funk, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Talk to Martin at @Keith Guitars, he makes wonderful 5 string basses. I have two of them, fretted and fretless Elfin 5 models. He can accommodate a lot of variables for you.

Martin Keith Guitars

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    Max Blasto likes this.
  2. Sweet Willie

Sweet Willie

Dec 31, 2014
    NY
    Former moderator for now non-active Nordstrand Forum
    Good questions.

Regardless of the answer, I guess I'd be thinking about ways in which the new bass would not be duplicative of the Smith, but complementary. I haven't played a Smith in a really, really long time (and even then it was for 5-10 minutes in a music shop) so it's hard for me to say which from your list or others might do that for you.

Dumpster Funk likes this.
  3. baltodoc

baltodoc Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Maryland
    Since you've got the green light, Fodera would be the choice. I've owned many of the boutiques and the Foderas I've owned just stand out. I'd still have mine but with the type gigs I play now, I can't justify the cost.

4. Hmmn..

That's a tough one as once you get "above" a Modulus, Cirrus, Roscoe much of it is personal taste...

Honestly.. once you're talking this level, I'd be visiting a Bass only Botique...

The basses you've listed have different personalities.. none better or worse.

The gospel "go to" is Cirrus and Smith...

Ikkir likes this.
  5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Have the G&L suggestiors played Fodera's? I haven't, but I have played a few keeper pre-cbs Fenders and an Alleva 5 and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest an A-C over any of the ten or so G&Ls I've played. Heck, I liked it more than the three KSs I've played.

Were we friends, seeing as how you've got a sahweeet stable already, I'd suggest you take that dough and get a 90's miata/e36 and a few sets of crap tires for thrashing the summer away and/or some studded nokian hakkapeliitas to make it a mean a##ed winter dd.

Orrr, you haven't mentioned amps... V4+212av

Obese Chess likes this.
  6. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Sadowsky seems to be missing from your list. While the New York model may be high for you, the Metroline is below your budget. Wouldn't waste the money on a Fender.

jcbrown and MMiller28 like this.
  7. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    What is really difficult to do is figure out exactly what you want or need. I have personally found that having a bunch of basses that you like but still looking for something else means you really don't have exactly what you need or have a gap you want to fill. The MTD aside I own a Smith and have had numerous jazz basses. What I had always wished for was basically a Smith with a more traditional string spacing. So I went ahead with having a custom bass made using a lot of the Smith wood formula; Ebony, Mahogony, Walnut. For me that was really the answer, being able to customize the ergonomic aspects were a huge bonus.

Good luck.

8. Crash 56

Crash 56 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    Since I own an F bass, I am probably biased, but since all your bass heroes play Foderas, that may be the way to go. Personally, I don't think you could beat an Fbass BN5 with anything else.

Gnal likes this.
  9. Basstards

Basstards

Oct 7, 2016
    If I could blow all that on a bass, I'm pretty sure it would be a Fodera. But also, I've been eyeing FBass lately. They are the two.

10. Up the dose

Up the dose

Mar 10, 2013
    Fodera makes the best coffee table bass in the game. Very high quality in every detail. A couple of brands you didn't mention that also make some really amazing instruments that may be worth a look are Zon and Sandberg. Both brands completely knocked my socks off in the examples I've tried.

11. bskts247

bskts247 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I'm gonna throw in that you should check out a sadowsky bass. I love my metro. I assume a NYC can only get better. the Fodera I played was anthony wellingtons and it was beautiful. I suggest that if youre only considering those 3.

12. slamsinger

slamsinger Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Coventry RI
    After owning all in that list I'd say first off what's the tonal aspect your going for ?... modern ? Vintage jazz ?
    Can't go wrong with the fodera with dual coils
    Can't go wrong with MTD if you want a modern hi if tone
    If your going for the vintage j bass tone
    I'd def look into a Alleva Coppolo or Sadowsky (maybe 2nd hand Sadowsky NYC)
    My main player is a alleva LG5
    Crazy tone and playability with the best neck carve I've ever played
    Crazy vintage j bass growl and tone
    But you can't go wrong with any of your choices imo benevente doesn't hold value like fodera - MTD-Sadowsky -alleva

13. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I'm not sure if the prices on Mike Kinal's website are in USD or CAD, but if they are in CAD, for $5000 USD you might be able to snag two of his models...

Kinal Basses

The Eristic likes this.
  14. There was a post that hinted toward having one made.. this may be what you're describing...

15. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    What he said, re Fodera and your tone models. Otherwise, some surprise that Sadowsky not on your list of instruments owned or considered. If you have love for the Fender roots, then Sadowsky or Lakland USA merit consideration, but you really do seem to have that Fodera sound dialed in already - and who can blame you - it's a great sound and a great line of basses!

Dumpster Funk likes this.
  16. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Once you get into this level of boutiquery, it's hard to go wrong no matter which choice you make. In addition to the feature set of each instrument, your selection will ultimately boil down to such highly personal matters as the overall feel of the bass, and whether it really speaks to you, aesthetically speaking.

In case you haven't received such advice already, here's a case where you definitely should get into the stores, put hands on, and fire away. Chances are the best choice of the three will become apparent to you in short order.

MM

17. Dumpster Funk

Dumpster Funk

Jan 10, 2017
    Thank for the suggestions especially the comments including my wife. She says she owes me because I "spoiled" her when we were dating. I have always likened Warrior basses to be in tonal range of MTD's. Alembic's are amazing I'm sure my wife would make that my final bass .
    Absolutely! I am looking for a bass that will complement what I currently own. I play all of my basses because there is something special that I like about them. I played a Benavente Vortex that I fell in love with at GC. When I went to buy it the next week it was already gone which was fine because I ended up buying my MTD.

Sweet Willie likes this.
  18. Tritone

Tritone Gold Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Before dropping that kind of money on ANY instrument, IMHO you should take the time to go to at a couple of the bass specific stores and try out several different brands. Besides, you could take your wife with you and take her to dinner or something. She deserves at LEAST that much! :hyper:. We could give you instrument recommendations all day long, for what WE think is the best choice. The only thing that matters is which instrument speaks to YOU, and you won't know that until you try several out. After that, if you decide to go with a custom instrument, you'll be making an informed choice and not just from someone else's opinion of what you should do. IMHO, of course. Good luck and congrats!.

BIGEJ2, Hotblack and Dumpster Funk like this.
  19. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    Don't do anything before you try a Mayones. Here's my Comodous. Best bass I've ever played :)

Mayo3.

PsyDocHill and Dumpster Funk like this.
  20. Dumpster Funk

Dumpster Funk

Jan 10, 2017
    I do apologize for not specifying the tone that I'm looking for but a bass that could dial the modern hi fi along with a warm and punchy would work with me. I have always joked with my wife about buying a bass but one day she said she wanted "us" to buy one after other financial priorities were addressed first. I am very blessed and content with my arsenal but with the offer on the table, why not?