Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which high powered cheap head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sethlow3, Mar 7, 2006.

1. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Well I am concerned about a high powered cheap head that is versitile enough for rock, country, and R&B with little or no hiss when cranked.
    I have a Yamaha nathan east and will get a MMSR5 in a few months and plan on pairing this with an epifani 310. I want LOUD, punchy, but also modern and defined. I may go a power pre route like QSC 2450>ampeg svpcl or demter vtbp2001s. Any reason I should go one way or the other?

So here are the 3 I was looking at

Carvin B1500
    Kustom groove bass 1200
    Genz Benz GBE1200

any thoughts?

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Of the 3 the Genz-benz is definitely the best sounding with the widest variety of sounds. The Kustom... to my ears is kind of flat. Lots of power and punch. I wouldn't call the Genz benz "cheap"

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    The B1500 is an excellent head. The Kustom has its partisans on this forum too. Dunno about the G-B.

4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I'm planning on upgrading my Mag300 to a KustomGB1200.

5. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
  6. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    cool. yeah I hate the word "cheap". So what about hiss? That bothered me a lot with the GBE600 I had.

Also tone. What has the better versitilty?

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I play gospel, jazz, funk, R & B, and blues with a 5 string and my amp is the Kustom GrooveBass 1200. Most bang for the buck out there. This sucker is LOUD with a very modern tone (I don't do "grit", or "dirty", or "vintage"). I have it paired with a 2x10 on top of a 2x12 and I get all the punch and thunder I need (slap or finger styles),,,and probably more if the walls would stop shaking :D

8. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    hiss issues anybody with any of the amps? I am still debating on the power/pre idea or is it more trouble than its worth? Will I NEED a rack case plus power conditioner?

Also this "bridged mono" business. What does that mean? Do you just hit a buttom on a power amp and its all of the sudden in bridged mono mode (louder)?

9. crap, i've only played the kustom. Well IMHO it's a good amp. my problem is it was stuck inbetween a nice clean sound and a nice warm sound and didn't have a powerful enough EQ. I have a GK for the clean and will use Ampeg for the warmth. Can't complain about the price for watts tho. It's loaded with power. I wouldn't describe it as versatile so i wouldn't recommend it basing it off what you say you want. But who says they want a non versatile amp? (well me i guess)

10. No hiss outta my GBE600. The knobs are a little cheezy but I wouldn't say cheap. The 1200 seems to have a little better excecution. GB is awsome customer service wise too. Had trouble with Carvin before and Kustom seems a little thin to me, I'd go with GB.

11. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    I would say go with the Genz Benz for sure (assuming you have the money). It takes versatility to another level. I've played all of the GBE series and have never dealt with any hiss. The GBE1200 is a monster. If it's one that you're considering then you already know about the tube/FET blend feature. I love how this amp can go from a GK sound to a Mesa Boogie sound. It was never clear to me how much warmth a tube added until I played around with this amp.

The thing is beastly, though....it weighs 42 pounds.

12. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution
    si senor...it is a beast. That's why we came out with the GBE750 which replaces the GBE600. The GBE750 has the exact same functions as the 1200 but in a two space rack and 750+ watts.

13. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    More trouble than what? If you want to use a preamp like the Demeter then your other options is carrying the preamp and amp with no rack case and stacking them on top of each other at the gig. I think that is more trouble than racking the gear. If you are looking for a less expansive option then you can go for heavier amplifiers, or go with one of the integrated heads that you are looking at. Most rack solutions aren't done to save money.

The power conditioner route is optional but it makes things more convenient. Having a unit like the Furman with the pull out lights means that you will be able to see the front panel of your gear, and having the extra outlets on the back means that you will only need one plug, and you can plug in a light for the back of the rack too.

Bridged Mono is a mode that uses both sides of a stereo power amp to run in mono. The amp has to be designed to be able to do it so check with the manufacturer. On the QSCs there is a dip switch setting for it. If you don't set the switch correctly you can blow the amp. You also may need a special cable depending on the amplifier.

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Seth, I don't recall the GBE 600 having any hiss. Do you think its possible this was because of the cabinet you were using?

Anyways, I'll admit I haven't tried the other 2, but I'd still recommend the GBE1200. Use it with Genz Benz's cabs, and you can't go wrong.

15. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    xcentralx, what I mean is when the amp is cranked is hisses. It has that hiss like a Marshall stack thats cranked. Usually it doesnt bother me live unless its in between songs. I just want to spend under a grand only to not have another amp to buy.

I need something that has great sound recorded and live I think... Its tough to decide when your budget is close. I still want an epifani 310 though. They are pricey, but sooooo worth it IMO. ;)

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    GK 700 @ RMC for $500 delivered
    GK 1001 @ RMC for $600 delivered

Inexpensive, flexible and good...

17. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    bump

so how about the Kustom GB1200 or the Epifani 502?

I know they are totally different, but wouldn't the 502 be better for live AND recording? What would pair up with the epi ul310 better power-wise?