Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Highway 1 Fender Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maju dragon, Feb 7, 2006.

1. hey guys, i've been looking around for a bass for quite a while now, and i've been saving up my money and almost have enough to get one. I've been looking and narrowed it down to 2. The http://www.music123.com/Fender-Highway-1-Jazz-Bass-i90256.music and the http://www.music123.com/Fender-Highway-1-Precision-Bass-i90252.music. I like Fender a lot and both these are in my price range, I've been playing for about 2 years almost and have owned one bass so far. The http://www.music123.com/Ibanez-ICB200-i129412.music. Though i regret the decision to buy it, it has been a good bass to me, but the G string is really low in volume for some reason so im just gunna get a new bass, haha. anyway, I want a bass that will last for at least a couple years, and has good sound and a good feel, like a fast feel, somethin like that.

So basically, im asking for any of you guys's input on which bass(out of these two) that i should get, and the reasons why which ever one you think is better, is better... Any feedback or suggestions or anything like that you want to give me will be great. Thanks for your help guys, it is appreciated.

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    It looks to me like just a decision between a Jazz or a Precision and only you can decide which one will work best for you.

I prefer the Precision sound for what I do, but I can get a good sound from some of the ibanez basses too. I don't like the weight of the Fenders nor their heavy headstocks. I also prefer the feel of the Precision neck over the Jazz.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Jazz bass necks are narrower at the nut than Precision necks, so if it's a faster feel you're looking for, you might want to go with the Jazz. The Jazz is also a tad more versatile with the two pickups, though with the right technique you can get a ton of sounds out of a Precision. (I currently own a Highway 1 Precision - it's my main gigging bass.) Some people, like myself, enjoy the wider spacing on a Precision.

If you have a local music store near you, you can try out any level of Jazz or Precision bass - the differences between the two carry over regardless of models. (Most, anyway. ;)) If you can play both necks, that will probably be the deciding factor for you. Go with what's most comfortable. :)

4. kirin

kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd like to see a honey blonde hwy1 P with tort PG...mmmmm.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Here's mine, second from the right. :)
    [​IMG]

6. i own a '03 Highway 1 Jazz. i have been very happy with it.
    i bought it in '04. it has become my main gigging bass. i feel sure you'll be happy with whichever one you choose. :cool:

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Here's my ugly mug with my Hwy. 1 Jazz at a gig last weekend...

[​IMG]

8. Where can I get one of those caps with the star on top?????

9. hey again. Thanks a lot for your reply's they've been a big help in choosing one, im still looking for more of everyones opinions, so keep em coming.
    as of right now, i think im leaning a little towards the jazz, but i could still bounce to the precision. but im still gunna have to go play both to see which one i wanna get for sure.

and dude, super duck, you are one lucky man with those 5 bass's, each one looking very nice. I was thinking about getting the marcus miller (one in middle) a couple of weeks ago, but i dont wanna spend all that money. how do you like that bass? and thanks for the help.

have a good day guys, bye.:bassist: hehe

10. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

advertising your house to thieves.....:D

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Why thank you. The H1 and the Marcus Miller are the only two cash cows, though, as the other three are bargain basses that I gussied up a bit.

The Marcus is a sweet bass. It's the most well-constructed one I own and it plays great. Like most people, though, I bought it and was in love with it but realized over time that the fingerstyle tone just doesn't _push_. I might do a pickup swap or maybe a preamp swap, but something's coming out of there. :D

As for thieves, it would be quite a trick getting into a third floor apartment, but I suppose they could if they really wanted to!