Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Humcancelling J's for a Geddy?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by xsogol, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Hi all. I have a Geddy Lee Jazz I absolutely love, however, after shielding all the cavities carefully and making sure all the wiring is sound, I still have a slight hum which I don't like (I know this is supposed to be here, I just don't like it). So...here's the deal:

• I LOVE the sound of my stock pickups
    • I don't like hum
    • Which of these humcancelling Jazz pickups will most likely get me closest to my stock Geddy's without the hum (soundclips greatly appreciated, but not necessary to answer the question):
    - Nordstrand NJ4SV​
    - Dimarzio Ultra Jazz​
    - Dimarzio Model J​
    - Basslines STK-J2​
    - Bartolini 9J#1​
    - Bartolini 9CBJD1​
    - Bartolini 9CBJD3​
    - Bartolini 9K#1​
    - Other​

Thank you all very much for your help! :help:

2. bump

3. BillisCool

BillisCool

Apr 16, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    If you go on your pickup journey with the intent of keeping the same sound, you're going to set yourself up for a big let down. :)

While there are some great pickups on that list, none of them sound like the ones in your Geddy. That can be good if you're looking for a change, and bad if you're just trying to stay the same.

Even though I hate the buzz sometimes, I've learned to live with it. Nothing sounds as good as a 'good' single coil jazz IMO.

I did however dump the stock Geddys for some Custom Shop 60's and the sound is so amazing I really don't care about the buzz at all anymore.

Really, I only worry about the buzz if I'm recording... and that doesn't happen too often.

Go for the sound you want, worry about the rest later.

Oh, and if I did have to pick from that list... I'd pick the regular dimarzio J's.

4. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I went through the hum cancelling search for a while.
    I'd say the model J's or SD stacks, or hot stacks for extra 'umph'

and stay far far far away from 1/4lb jazz, they make ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    did you look in the pickups faq? There's you'll find a link to a thread of mine with a bunch of soundclips of different pickups in a geddy lee jazz

6. Read my post. I very carefully shielded my control cavities and made sure all my wiring was sound before asking my question...I even used the link you refer to when I did my shielding. Thank you for the advice...it is good advice, but advice I already had followed.

7. I did read your thread awhile back and did find it helpful (thanks for that thread!!)...I still haven't found the sound I was looking for, so I figured I'd toss that sound clip note out there.

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    no bartolini's, that's for sure. The Nord NJ4SV are the closest by far I've heard humbuckers sound to single coils.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Here's an opinion that even I, a person who thinks changing pickups does nothing to alter the actual sound of the bass and only affects the EQ, believes to be true...humbucking J pickups don't sound as good as single-coils. I don't know why, but I've never liked them. I do have a set of DiMarzio J's in my Bradley Steinberger copy, but I don't think they sound nearly as good as stock Fenders. Therefore, if you like the sound of the pickups in the Geddy, I would leave them alone, and instead I'd shield the cavities and pickguard to reject the hum a little better.

10. Will shielding the pickguard on top of shielding the control cavities make a marked improvement in the hum? If so, I will definitely do so! I love the pickups...I just hate even the reduced hum I get after my shielding job...I must just be to anal :)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well some people dislike the hum. I'm not a big fan of it either. But it's just the nature of single coils so I've gotten used to it. It's really not bad unless you turn one pickup down.

And yeah, it should help a little more.