Which Ibanez bass should I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikelaughlin21, Mar 7, 2018.

1. mikelaughlin21

mikelaughlin21

Mar 7, 2018
    Hey everyone this my first post! Anyway i've been playing bass for about a year and have been wanting to pick a 5-string, the main player at my church plays a 5 string so I play his when he is not there so I kind of have a feel for it but I never really like the feel of a 5 string it just felt hard to play mainly because the neck is so thick, i've played a couple other 5's as well. Anyway to the question, I was at GC the other day and played an Ibanez SR505 and i loved it I'm thinking about buying that or the Ibanez SR 875 i saw online. Just want your opinions if the extra coin is worth it or not. The main difference im worried about was the 505 had Bartolini MK1 pickups and the 875 has Bartolini BH-2 pickups. I like the sound of the 505 so is the bh-2 an upgrade of mk1 or do they sound different? I don't have anywhere I can play a 875 in person. Thanks everyone sorry for the long read...

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    At a year in, it won’t make a huge difference for you. Used 505’s are abundant. Getting an Ibanez is a good idea though! :)

TolerancEJ and mikelaughlin21 like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The downside to the SR series in a 5-string is that the scale length is only 34".
    A BTB is probably a better 5-string, with a 35" scale, but the downside to those is that they're heavier than the SR series.

BurnOut likes this.
  4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Is it the mahogany SR505? If so, be careful with the finish on those. Very thin and wears down very easily.
    Here's an example of what I'm talking about, a lot of the used SR500 and SR505 basses in this finish look a little like this after a while. Great sounding bass though and love the neck, I ended up getting an SR700 because the finish was sturdier.

sr500.jpg

5. mikelaughlin21

mikelaughlin21

Mar 7, 2018
    Ya i had heard about that too, that's one reason i wanted to get a higher series, i don't see any sr700's but the next one up is the 800 series. Just wondering if it will sound alot different

6. mikelaughlin21

mikelaughlin21

Mar 7, 2018
    Thanks, do you happen to know if those pickups sound different or about the same?

7. Killed_by_Death

My advice is to buy a pre-owned Premium Ibanez.
    I've been buying different basses literally for years & my Premium is the best I've ever owned.

dralionux likes this.
  8. mikelaughlin21

mikelaughlin21

Mar 7, 2018
    Thanks I may do that, I just want it to have a similar sound to the SR505 i played

9. Killed_by_Death

I was blown away by the sound of the Premium & still am, it's so much better than those Bartolini pickups, IME.

The BTB Premiums have Aguilar pickups, also miles above Bartolini's IMHO.
    I think a Premium Ibanez might just be your last bass guitar purchase...

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    dralionux likes this.
  10. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I don’t know for certain — the specs are probably searchable online. But I am certain that it really shouldn’t matter very much to someone starting out. The 505 is a common gigging bass — they do get that player wear by the pickup, but player wear is a sign of a bass that G e t s P l a y e d. Go grab a 505 and play it until the cows come home. A 405 will do you too.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021