Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Ibanez bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Artist, Jan 24, 2002.

1. I'm concidering getting a new 5-string Ibanez, but which one?
    I know htere are a lot of "Ibanez haters" out ther so could you kindly stay out of this one (no offence, ...I'm just sic of people saying how much they hate Ibanez)

My 2 main choices are:
    BTB405qm
    or
    SR305dx
    or
    SR645
    and last but not least
    SR705

the only reason the SR305dx is in there is coz it's cheaper than the others.

I'd appreciate all comments, advice, pros+cons, or experiences.

THANX
    SCODI

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey man

i love my soundgear, (and my ATK 5) but i will admit that the lower range ibanez's arent that great. id say if you want a soundgear, get the 705. check to see where its made. ive had better experience with the made in japan ones.

i would not reccomend the SR305DX. its not a bad little bass, but i see it as more of a "toy" than anything else yeah its cheaper.. but the pickups arent good, and the preamp isnt either. theres a reason its so much cheaper.

BTBs are always a good bet, and most people will probably tell you to go for the BTB405QM.

id say between those three (SR 645, SR 705, or BTB 405) its going to be mainly a matter of taste. that is.. try them all out. decide if the SR705 is really worth the extra money over the 645. and try out the BTB and compare it. they are two completely different basses. (SR vs. BTB) my guess is that you will love one, and hate the other one, so it should be clear after that.

The BTB has a fatter neck, and is more of a traditional styled bass. Theres more substance to it... more meat to grab onto. The Soundgear series is made with speed playing in mind. They can get some really great tones (the better ones at least) and are really easy to play. like i said, i love mine. (SR800A)

whichever you go with, they are both great basses, oh and after you make your decision, check ebay and the likes, those things (SR's and BTB's) pop up all the time and can be had pretty cheap used... good luck!

IM or email me if you have any questions about the soundgear, ive been playing it since 1997.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    The BTB hands down.

Mike

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    OT: why doesn't Ibanez make the Percy Jones model fretless? What's the point of making a very nice custom instrument... and not offering it to the public?

:confused:

5. BTB absolutely. Someone just posted something here saying that soon, the BTBs are going to come stock from the factory with Bartolini pups, with no price increase. Maybe it's worth looking into?

BTBs sound great as they are, but...

Mike J.

6. Thanx so far,
    If it wasn't 4 you guy I would have probably got the SR305dx coz I hate saving up.:)
    Plus I have a tryout for a new band at the weekend, and I wanted to show up with something better than a GSR200:) :rolleyes:

I'm probably gonna go 4 the SR705 or the BTB405qm. I've tryed out the SR705 and I like it, it somehow feels right, but the BTB is probably a better buy I think I'll go try it out next week.

ROCK ON
    SCODI

7. BTB 405QM, is great. I own one. Perhaps active pups would be better. It might be me but i find the 5 to be a little weak.

sim

8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    good choices. im glad to have turned you away from the SR305DX. its not much better than your GSR200. the 705 though... im sure thats great. ive never seen one though, is it used? i dont think they make them right now... (current models are 1005, 885, 645, 405 and 305DX i believe)

9. No it's not used, a friend of mines' father own a msic store and they've still got one. So they have reserved it 4 me.
    (1000thanx 4 the advice NOT to get the SR305dx, coz I would'ev.)

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Of all your choices I myself would go with the BTB, Its constructed better, and has a better tone IMO.

11. xax712

xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I think Ibanez basses are good basses especially for the buck. Man I'd really try to see if you could land an 885 though. It's a jump up to active pick-ups and you'd thank yourself later for that. But that's just me. I'd say the difference between the btb and 705 is all your personal perspective. I think that the btb's look really awesome though, but if you are trying out for a hardcore band or anything of the liek the soundgear might fit in a little better, and no matter how much anybody wants to argue we all know that looks DO matter.
    Hope this helps.

12. btb, ergodyne (or however you spell that), soundgear.

i have a btb and i like it lots...

13. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    BTB. I love my Ergodyne, but you can do alot more with the btb.

14. BTB405! Very good bass you won't be sorry.

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    They gotta wait for demand to build up. Remember the Gary Willis model. He must have been playing Ibanes for at least a decade before they came out with a signature model. Also, Ibanez hasn't had much luck with its "artist" models. the Doug Wimbish model (The Ibanez take on Spector, I'm sorta kinda keeping my eye out for one, just to, you know, check it out;)), Flop, The Verdine White model, Flop. A Percy Jones model would be a cool thing to have, but how many would actually sell?

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    They gotta wait for demand to build up. Remember the Gary Willis model. He must have been playing Ibanes for at least a decade before they came out with a signature model. Also, Ibanez hasn't had much luck with its "artist" models. the Doug Wimbish model (The Ibanez take on Spector, I'm sorta kinda keeping my eye out for one, just to, you know, check it out;)), Flop, The Verdine White model, Flop. A Percy Jones model would be a cool thing to have, but how many would actually sell?

Oh, and I'll suggest the BTB. I think it's a very cool bass.

17. dimebag duck

dimebag duck

Jan 26, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I traded in a SR300 that I bought a couple of weeks ago today for a BTB405. There is a huge difference in both workmanship and sound quality between the SR and BTB line of basses. I was originally going for the SR305 but when I saw that www.musiciansfriend.com has marked the BTB405 down to 479.00 I couldn't resist. I talked with my sales guy at Guitar Center and he matched the price without a haggle. I even got them to order me a brand new in the box bass from another store that I am going to trade out once it arrives in about a week. (The floor model had a few minor blemishes in the wood on the neck.)

-dime

18. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    If I had to have an Ibanez, I would get the Garry Willis model. But they dont make them anymore according to GC. They have discontinued them but I am not sure about that. I saw a used one at daddy's back in november but it was in bad shape.

BTB would be the way to go. Good luck.

19. I can't really say much about any 5 string basses but I can tell you that my Ibanez SR-810 gets played more than all of my other basses combined. It's very comfortable to play for hours at a time and it has a wide variety of tones. I originally bought it because I didn't want to put wear and tear on my flawless quilted Spectre N4, which is kind of a lame reason, but it soon became my workhorse.

At first, I was having some trouble dialing in the setup, but after I had some work done on the nut, it's been a pleasure to play. I use Rotosound 66's (.045 - .105) and for some reason, they just couldn't get along with the way the nut was originally grooved.

Now it's 3 years old and the fretboard and frets still look brand new even after about 20 sets of strings. The only thing bothers me is that it sounds a little flabby when tuned down to D so I don't do that with this bass too often. Also,the jack won't stay tight.

For $550, you can't beat it.