Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which ibanez musician is this?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by origami, Jul 25, 2005.

1. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    i used to own this bass in high school. i know its an ibanez musician fretless. i think it was koa with ebony, 24 frets, small dots on the ftreboard. gold harware, ibanez soapbars.

it was a cool bass. which paticular model is this?

BTW- before anyone says anything, hey.. it was 1989 many chicks were shagged by the mullet.

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I don't know anything about the bass, but that is a very nice mullet.

3. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    lOOKS LIKE THE 2924 TO ME
    [​IMG]

4. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Oops, being as it's fretless, probably the 2940

[​IMG]

5. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    thanks guys,

i just wanted to know the model# in case i ever felt like buying one again. i loved that bass, bought it in 1989, and sold it in 1997 beaause i had switched to guitar, and only played my 77 p-bass for bass gigs.

in 1989 was 15 and bought the fretless bass with no pre-conseptions other than it looked cool. I was fun making all this primus-like sounds (before i ever heard primus) . i didn't even discover jaco for another year, and it was another year after i finally heard primus. memories.

BTW-i didn't cut my hair for about 2 years (from when that pic was taken) i had a full on NASCAR/Hockey mullet, it was amazing.

6. I wish Ibanez kept the paddle headstock for the SDGR bass the have now. Do ya think Ibanez would custom shop A SR1000 with that headstock??? Oh man, Id dish out the cash Immediatly, Especially weith the Barts in it... GAS :D

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had a fretted model, then defretted it, and I knew it as the MC924, where the "24" was for 24 frets, but maybe it was an even older model than these 29xxx's here ('cause obviously the 940 doesn't have 40 positions).

Regardless, the body is walnut (or at least walnut "finish" or stain), but I'm fairly sure it wasn't Koa. I THINK the "WN" is for "Walnut Natural" for the body and neck, but I'm not totally sure about that part.

EDIT: I think the body was actually Ash on these, but walnut stained.

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Found mine... MUCH older...
    [​IMG]

I also had one of the Roadster 924's, my first P/J ever, and one of the best basses I'd ever owned. Mine was a bound cherry burst with a rosewood fingerboard, tho.
    [​IMG]

These are circa '80, I think.

9. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Ok, actually, I guess mine was just a bit newer than that... I found this page, and remember mine had these pickups... kind of a pseudo P/J thing going on (even tho mine was not a lefty)...

http://www.leftybass.com/ibanez_musician.htm

Thing is, that might have been on the Roadster, as well, which I got later, and the 924 may have be those older soaps. Jeez, too long ago...

10. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    They had a lot of pickup changes and stuff over the years. My favorites are the "brownie" pickups but the white (dimarzio) PJ combo was very nice too.

11. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    I would LOVE to have one of those fretlesses, how much do these basses cost in the 2nd hand market nowadays?

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    The more I think about it, the more I'm pretty sure my MC924 had the "brownie" pickups (I believe one big pole piece per string), but my Roadster (NOT RoadstAr) had the newer pickups... solid black covers, but the pole pieces were those DiMarzio style adjustable, and in the P/J config (like the lefty MC924 above).

The problem was, I defretted the MC924, which ended up being a huge mistake. The neck corkscrewed on me so bad as a result of the change in the fingerboard characteristics (maybe filler inconsistency, dunno) that I was going to have to have the fingerboard planed, and I just never got it done... sold it instead.

13. Jugghaid

Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    Pretty cheap. I had a collection of about 20 vintage Ibbys at one point. You can pick those up for about $500 or less on eBay if you keep your eyes open.

A lot of the Roadsters/Raodstars, Studios, "lawsuits" etc go for way cheaper.

14. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    They're REALLY hard to find, but if you manage to get yer mitts on a RS924 (RoadstEr), those are SMOKIN' hot basses. Mine was awesome.

15. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    [​IMG]

Here's my MC2924. made in 86.

Apparantly they were made in different colours including red!!

Don't you think the body shape sparked the design of the soundgear series?

16. This is quite confusing. My first bass was a Roadstar II, but it had the very same shape as that one above. It had the two humbuckers and controls like in the picture. Whenever I google Roadstar II, it comes up with a bass that wasn't lilke mine :confused:

17. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    You and me both :eyebrow: Great bass though...

18. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    check out this link

http://www.ibanezregister.com/Gallery/bass_gallery.htm

they seem to have the complete range of ibanez basses around including vintage.

Perhaps your bass is inside.

Enjoy