1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Ibanez SR 5er to buy? sr1005 or sr4005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hsp-sandiego, Nov 29, 2017.

1. hsp-sandiego

hsp-sandiego

Oct 22, 2014
    San Diego
    looking at a used 5er for eadgc tuning - $140 price difference. the sr4005 is made in 1995 / J-Craft factory, the sr1005 i believe is Korea - unsure of year, both real barts.

I had a sr505 with a OBP3 pre years ago, gigged it alot with my old funk band and played it @ worship - loved it for eadgc (yes, will cut a new nut, and setup correctly). Sold all of my gear, looking to start playing live again.

thanks, Harry

sr4005:
    Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.52.18 AM.png

sr1005: Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 9.51.01 AM.png

2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    that sr4005 (missing a knob) was made in march of 09. looks like you are close to the store it is at. have you played it? being a made in japan model i would expect it to be better made than the korean made sr1005 which is already a well made bass. however if you like neck through, that's one thing the 1005 has over the 4005.

since the sr4005 is an 09, which is the first year, the catalog says it doesn't have the KTS reinforced neck that the later years have.
    27.jpg

if that sr1005 has the original knobs it is an 05. later years came with plastic knobs.
    05 catalog
    24.jpg
    06 catalog
    32.jpg

3. hsp-sandiego

hsp-sandiego

Oct 22, 2014
    San Diego
    Thanks for the Reply and info Hyper Carrots, both instruments are used online @ GC and wish i could play them, although very familiar with the sr 5's, no huge deal there.

Yeah, that is killer that Ibanez started using Ti Rods in their premium and prestige bass necks (KTS) - my Warmoth Jazz 5 i sold last year/ steel rods was super stable with bell tone and sustain. I have only owned bolt on necks - good point! The laminated sr4005 neck should be pretty stable one would imagine - especially when strung E-C.

Appreciate the ad images for each instrument - super helpful.
    -Harry

4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    oh right i was confusing stevenson ranch with rancho santa fe. i would go for the 4005 though i've liked the 1005 for a long time. another point to consider is the different eq. i'm familiar with the 1005's vari mid but not the 4005's eq which looks more elaborate.

5. hsp-sandiego

hsp-sandiego

Oct 22, 2014
    San Diego
    I know - and i drove right past it on my way back to San Diego, from Santa Clarita last weekend! haha.

6. Bassworship1

Bassworship1 Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2013
    Jackson
    I can't speak for the 1005 personally because I haven't owned them but I do know they changed the pickups and preamp when they made the 4005. I owned and gigged for 2 years a SR4005 and it was one of the best sounding and made basses I've ever owned. Simply amazing bass that will play and sound as good as any $2000 bass you can find. Very dependable and tone sets in the mix really good.

7. hsp-sandiego

hsp-sandiego

Oct 22, 2014
    San Diego
    awesome - will order shortly. thanks Campbems.

campbems likes this.