Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Ibanez to choose from ? (high end)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sk8terguy316, Feb 18, 2005.

1. BTB 1000E Prestige

45.6%
  2. SR1000EWN Prestige (neck-thru)

56.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

They are both very nice instruments. Now, the question is......do you slap? If so, I'd advise getting the BTB over the SR due to the neck being wider hence more condusive to slapping. Don't get me wrong now, you can slap on an SR but the string spacing is extremely close and is more condusive to finger style playing only! Just my 2 cents. Are you playing 4 strings only? If so, the string spacing on the SR may be fine. I own a SR505 and while I can slap on it, the issue of the smaller string spacing remains. That's why I bought my Lakland.

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
  3. gyellow

gyellow

Dec 16, 2003
    Can anyone tell me what the SR1005ewn costs?

4. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Why would you spend that much on an ibanez? Sorry to say that, but for that price, there's much better.

5. Ostur

Ostur

Dec 21, 2004
    I would have a hard time choosing,as stated in anouther reply string spacing makes the choise for me,I like the sound of the btb but like the sr neck better,I chose the doug wimbish DWB3 over all of them,its a jewel of a bass, I love the way it sounds.the high end ibanez basses are nicely made.if you can spend some time with both basses, then you will be happy with your choise.

6. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    ****, my bad, I meant to vote for the SR :D.

7. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    I gree with DWBass - the BTB neck is much easier for slapping.

I've had several SRs and SDGRs over the years but once I went to BTB, I found the wider neck actually easier to play. The 35" scale makes for tighter string and punchier sound. I would NOT go back to SR necks. In fact I played a Warwick fortress the other day. it had narrow string spacing like the SR - although I was happt with the sound the string spacing was too close and I didn't like the neck.

Maurice

8. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    I normally play Modulus Quantum basses but I have owned a Ibanez BTB1000EOL since December. The BTB's electronics rival the Modulus (both Barts)and the neck is extremely playable. The aesthetics of the bass are stunning!! One of the nicest shaped and the nicest wood choices of aNY BASS i"ve ever played and you can find one for less than $1000 which is less than half of any boutique bass Ive ever dug. I normally dont play Ibanez basses but this bass is a step above as well as the DWB and some of the better SRs. I challenge you to find a better bass for the price (and please dont say Fender!!)
    I vote for the BTB!!

9. Maurice Carr

Maurice Carr

Aug 7, 2004
    Mt Wellington, Auckland, NZ
    Authorised BFM and fEARful cab builder: New Zealand
    Like what?

If you're going to make a statement like that, then please give us the rest of the equation.

Maurice

10. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Cirrus, Lakland 55-02/44-02, Lakland JO, G&L, KSD, Kubicki, Musicman, Lightwave...

But I suppose this is all subjective...

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Played a Cirrus? IT beats that... Easy.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I've played both these basses several times. Though I'm not a huge fan of either bass I would choose the BTB.

Though both have Bartolini pickups, the BTB has the Bartolini preamp in it as well. This IMO makes it a much better sounding bass than the SR and slightly more versitile in its tonality.

13. Zemaitis

Zemaitis

Jan 7, 2004
    New Paltz NY
    Actually never played a Cirus although Id like to. They look like nice basses and I know that Talkbass has a legion of Cirrus fans and Im sure you like them for a reason. My first bass was a Peavey Patriot and 16 years later it still occupies the same spot in my room as all my other basses.
    Im a particularly rabid supporter of the BTBs seeing as how I bought this BTB1000EOL new (but shop worn) for $499 in December. I was in the right place at the right time I guess but Id still love it everybit as much if I spent almost 1K on it.
    Its just that good a bass!! Granted not everyone can come across a deal like I did but as far as bang for your buck!?! C'mon

Attached Files:

14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    O, I dont think that BTB's are bad or the Soundgears, But when you get into the more expensive one's, I think there are better options..

But again that is all subjectinve

FYI- I got my cirrus over a Modulus Q6, IMHO it was a better bass, and the price did play a role in the decision, but not as much as the Feel/Sound/Playability etc...

15. I would also like to know what are your opinions off a BTB100E or a Fender American Precision Delux

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    IIRC all the basses you listed are slightly more expensive than the Ibanez BTB. At least here they are.

17. I'd get that Wimbish. Definitely an upper-end Ibanez, and a nice price.