Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Ibanez to choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fozzy, Apr 6, 2004.

1. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Ok, i need some help! Which Ibanez bass to choose? BTB's, SR's, Ergodynes, ATK's! I want the best bass sound from Ibanez ,... :D

Peace!!

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Just my opinion, but if you insist on an Ibanez, I don't think any of the others match up to the BTB.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I....no, I cannot do this.

4. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    C'mon! Best from Ibanez .... Don't bash Ibanez because they are Japanese company... that's lame ...!!!

You saying that BTB is the best that i can get from Ibanez ??

Ok!!

5. Don't get EDA or EDB...........although it's light and comfortable easy to play...but it has lack of the "wood" sound, if you played it, you would know...Missing the wood tone..

For SRs....I can't really say anything about it....because somebody love them..somebody don't.....Try one and u will know...

Don't know about ATK

BTW seems to be the right choose..

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

The BTB's and the SR's are the best of the lot. The SR's do have a very slim neck profile so if you are a slapper, you may want to consider the BTB's. If you've got the money, make sure to get the top of line model of whichever you choose.

7. keepmusicevil

keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I have an ATK300 and must say it is one of my best sounding basses. Ernie Ball sued Ibanez because of this model I do believe. It is near in tone to the Musicman, but much cheaper. I think most are from the late 80's thru early 90's (?)

SWEET, Full tone....easy to play. I would recommend at least playing one and hearing it for yourself before buying any other model.

This was my first bass, and I have been unable to find a better sounding one for under $700.

I play through a GK rig and find that a good sounding bass in mandatory since GK is so 'transparent' in its tone.

8. bluemonk

bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Michigan
    Ibanez is discussed here a lot, and I have heard every opinion imaginable. The view seems to be that the ATKs and the BTBs are the best. I have a BTB and love the variety of sounds I can get from it. It's a bit heavy, but managable, and the quilt top is beautiful. I also have an EDA and wouldn't recommend it. One of the piezos died and that seems to be the end of the piezo life (it's used, so no warranty). The BTB has a wider neck, whcih some people love and some hate.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    ATK or SRX.

10. JDGA fan

JDGA fan

Oct 9, 2003
    NC
    If you must have an Ibanez, do yourself a favour and buy a second hand Ibanez Musician MC924 (fretted) or MC940 (fretless) from 1980-87 (I think the ones from the '83-84 with the black P/U's, smaller headstock, 3-band EQ, and P/U balance control were the best).

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    ATK all the way, man!

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I love my EDB605 (Ergodyne) It's a great bass.

You'll get plenty of hard headed traditionalists bashing Ibanez (probably because it's a foreign company) and they'll really bash the non traditional materials (luthite) but really, most of them haven't even played one and are just regurgitating what they've heard from others - a lot of what you read (re: EDB & EDA) is based in ignorance. The haters should really stay out of Ibanez threads - if you have a problem with Ibanez stuff, don't respond to a 'which Ibanez' thread :spit: my $.02

13. SRX500 is the current ibanez to have for now. Makes BTB's seem tame/timid. SRX is not afraid to sound good. Playability is off the scale also.

14. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

...don't forget the GWB1...that's one sweet fretless...

15. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Maybe a high end BTB and ATK.

I used to be a big SR fan (800 and higher), but now I'm happy playing a simple P.

I still do like the prestige SRs with the barts though.

16. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I've owned an SR400, SRX705, and EDA905. Out of those 3 I liked the EDA best. IMO the bass sounds best by far with flats. I loved the definition/clarity the piezos gave and chords sounded great on that bass. There were some quality issues with the piezo system though and I got Ibanez to replace it with an SRX705 (a big mistake). Even with those issues I still want to get another EDA (4-string version though). They are really an acquired taste though, try one before you buy.

The SR400 was ehh. The SRX had B-string issues. Here's the breakdown of the problem I had with the SRX

both pu's equal--->B=unaudible mud E-G=good

All neck pu--->B=good E-G=too bright/noisy

All bridge pu=pure shyte

Some people told me this was an amp issue but I'm not sure.

17. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If you're bent on getting an Ibanez, then your best bet is a BTB. I've had bad luck with them.

18. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    My comments will be directed toward the four-stringers, as I haven't played many five-string Ibanez's.

If I were you, the new SR500 and 900 would be at the top of my list. Both have the Bartolini MK1 system which sounds great. The 500 is bolt-on and the 900 is neck-thru. The 900 I played was a very nice bass, regardless of what name was on the headstock. In other words, it wasn't "good for an Ibanez", it was a bass that sounded and felt great. Period. The SRX 500 and 700 are also probably worth checking out.

It's been a few years since I looked at a BTB 405, but I thought it was nice when I did.

Just ignore mindless Ibanez-bashing. If someone has had an Ibanez for some time, and then had an insurmountable problem with it, that's different. But if someone hates Ibanez because Fieldy plays one, or some other non-reason, don't worry about it.

19. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ditto that...

20. Go BTB.. i just got a BTB 406QM and for the price, the quality is right on. John from Bass Alone adjusted my setup when i got it and he was impressed with how little he actually had to do to it. This is coming from a guy selling $5000-$7000 fodera's and such, so i think i got a good deal.. :)