1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which (if any) new Maxon or Carl Martin dirt pedals keep the low end?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongomania, Apr 16, 2010.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I like the quality of Maxon and Carl Martin pedals, and it's interesting to me that they have lots of dirt pedals in current production that we seem to never talk about here.

Obviously we do discuss the usual Ibanez TS/808 type pedals, with and without bass mods, original or boutique clones/variations; but Maxon makes so many variations, as well as several possibly non-TS-related dirt pedals, that I'm curious about their more recent offerings. And what about Carl Martin? Their "Hot Drive 'n' Boost Mk III" is advertised as having more low end than the other versions, and also says "no loss of highs or lows".... but is it true? Plus they have so many different types of dirt available--surely some of them must have fallen into the hands of a bass player?

I can only take the bullet myself "so many" times... :D

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Good question, I'm curious myself. I've never owned, or even played with any Carl Martin stuff, and the only Maxon pedals I have are modulation affairs. I can say, as far as chorus and flanger goes, Maxon is king of the shimmer. Subscribed.

3. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All in current production. Several of them are TS/808 variants, but not all.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Also all in current production.

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    I wonder how the maxon distortion master sound on bass. I'll bet it's got an awesome sound. I've heard sound samples of one of the maxon chorus pedals on bass. it sounded pretty cool. too bad these pedals are pricey.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I was able to try 3 of the Maxon pedals in a row. Don't remember the exact models since the 3 of them sounded like 808 variations with slight EQ changes. Good but not as good as what Fulltone or Jacques achieve.

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I've tried some of the Maxon stuff, but the only one I can remember right now is the SD-9, which does not hold the low end on bass.