Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which incarnation of KC...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jammadave, Aug 30, 2004.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    ...is responsible for the spastic and sinister-sounding "Facts of Life"??

By far, my favorite Crimson *sound*, even if it's not my fave *song*. It's just, well, "sinister" is the only word I arrive at every time. =0) It's almost metal, even.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That was off their most recent studio album "The Power to Believe." It was a great comeback after their last studio album, ConstruKction of Light, which was dissappointing to many, me included.

The personnel on that were Fripp, Belew, Masetelotto and Gunn.

brad cook

3. buuutttt.. trey quit/was fired/left the band, so Tony is BACK! woo!

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Thanks guys - I'm just now getting into KC, myself, and my first buy was Heavy ConstruKction (3-disc including CoL, plus extras, and some live stuff, IIRC)

But, The Power to Believe, man I gotta get that.

Last I heard there were six in the band (incl both TLev and Trey) but I don't keep up with it well.

5. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    The "double-trio" lineup expired in '96 or '97, I think. Levin and Gunn on bass/stick, plsu Bruford and Mastelloto on various percussion tools. I saw them in '96, and it was pretty intense.

This most recent lineup (Gunn/Mastelloto/Belew/Fripp), with all electronic drums and Trey's Warr guitar, is definitely interesting. But I can't quite call it my favorite Crimso. Seen that lineup twice, as well.

If you want the heavy metal version, I highly recommend the '73-'74 lineup, with the Bruford/Wetton rhythm section. Holy pants, but that's the stuff. Maybe you already heard that stuff though.... What I wouldn't give to have seen that incarnation live.

Anyway, I love "Larks' Tongues in Aspic", "Starless and Bible Black", the live "Night Watch", and "Red". All killer stuff.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Heavy Construkction is good stuff. I especially like that third disc.

The first time I heard a track off of Power to Believe, Happy With What You Have to be Happy With, I just yelled "YES!" I love the big rolling in your face sound of that song and of the new album in general. I really like the drummer that Mastelotto has become.

brad cook

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    anyone who digs "red" needs to check out a great sweedish band called anekdoten...

http://www.anekdoten.se/

great great band, and they started out sounding a lot like red-era kc, but progressed on to a really unique sound all their own.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    And if you liked the 80's version of KC, I happened to have ruined one of their songs, Discipline , from the album of the same name. I changed it up quite a bit, but the song is (sort of ) still there. Besides, it's free!

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

'73 or '74, Massey Hall, Toronto, day of the show, mid-afternoon. Ticket booth person: "Would this fifth row center seat be OK?" Me: "Oh, drat, I guess so." I love the recorded stuff from that era the most, but I think the first U.S. Discipline tour was my favorite live KC performance of the 5 or so I've seen. I don't know how many club dates that band did, but the one I saw was stupifying, in a good way. Hard to pick just one though, and that mid-70s show was truly remarkable as well.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Ah, the jealousy.....

JT - I'll have to check out Anekdoten

Benji - I've heard your goo already, my cheese. Your KC fetsih is well-known. :)

11. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Absolutely not.

12. Oh, that's easy!

Richard Finch on Bass
    Robert Johnson on Drums
    Jerome Smith on Guitar
    Fermin Goytisolo on Congas
    And Harry Wayne ("KC") Casey on Keyboards and Vocals!

Man, I love KC and the Sunshine Band! :D

13. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    If only I could post the "you lose" sound from The Price Is Right...

Bomp-bomp-ba-dom -- waauuugghhh.....

14. Not a big fan of the progressive sounds of the Sunshine band? :p

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Imagine KC doing KC covers. Or vice versa. That'd be the day... :D

16. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I'd love to hear Fripp & Co. execute a version of "Shake Your Groove Thing". :eek: :D

17. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I could easily imagine Belew and Levin involved in such a venture but I just can't imagine Fripp getting that loose.

brad cook

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    come a long way since Mr. Mister, huh?!

There's a DVD of the Power to Believe tour called 'Eyes Wide Open.'
    Really love Trey's semi-hollow fretless Warr tone!

There's a DVD of the Double-Trio lineup called Deja Vroom, it's really nice too.
    Just watched both of them a few days ago.

I like all the KC lineups, each offers something really different. Hadn't heard Trey was gone though.

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've got that one...good stuff. I like the sort of hidden footage of Fripp just doing some solo soundscapes. I don't know where it was from.

brad cook

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    You've never heard The League of Gentlemen, have you? It's Fripp and some younger cats doing a punk/dance band kind of thing. It's awesome, and hilarious.