1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which inexpensive PJ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, May 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ibanez Talman

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Squier VM Precision PJ

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Squier VM Jaguar

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I am thinking of getting a beater bass for outdoor gigs and such (I play a lot of campgrounds in the summer), and was thinking of a PJ (my two main basses are a Lull P4 and a 70s Fender Jazz with a P neck). My choices and concerns:

1. Ibanez Talman - read good things about them, but never used an active bass before. Also worried about the weight of an inexpensive mahogany instrument.

2. Squier VM Precision PJ - Don't like only solid finishes. Don't know about Agathis as a body wood.

3. Squier VM Jaguar - 1.5" neck is different than my other basses. Don't know about basswood.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    I don't think you could go wrong with any of the three. My only other suggestion would be to check out the new Yamaha BB models. There's a pretty long thread here about them. IMHO, Yamaha does the P/J thing pretty well.

CameronJohnson, Luigir, SJan3 and 2 others like this.
  3. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’d go Squier then Ibanez.
    It’s nit on your list , but I’d get a used Fender Mustang PJ with the switch already replaced.

4. Try a Fender Aerodyne if you’re able to test one.

5. Beater doesn't mean new bass, IMHO
    Find something in the pawn shops.

6. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Gotta agree. I'd go Yamaha over the other picks, sight unseen.

CameronJohnson likes this.
  7. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I have both the Aerodyne and the Mustang PJ. They weigh about the same. I’m not crazy about the Aerodyne solid black finish, it shows smudges and fingerprints like crazy, but the EMG GZR’s make it sound awesome. The Mustang PJ is a great PJ also. I haven’t had a problem with the switch in mine but I also put another nut on the backside to recess it. The main difference (other then scale) is the Aerodyne have a V/V/T setup so you can blend the pickups and the Mustang has a 3 way toggle for P, PJ, and J. I like the Mustang more IMO.

Attached Files:

lowdownthump likes this.
  8. Definitely try and find a used Yamaha BB424 or 424X. I guarantee you won’t regret it!

9. twc1313

twc1313 Practice is the cure for GAS...or so I've heard. Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2013
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    I love the Talmans, I have two of them, a TMB100 and a TMB300. It is a very hot bass, but is well built and sounds great. It sits great in a mix and requires zero modification IMO. Two things that might bother you though:

1. They can have a tad bit of neck dive, nothing crazy, but noticeable if the body is a lighter one.
    2. The preamp can get a little crispy on the treble, but sounds great with the treble knob about a quarter turn down.

The VM Jag is well built and sounds awesome but the bass boost knob is useless and the bass never sat right in a mix to me.

The newer Yamaha BB's do not have the quality of the previous models. The only one that is better quality than the Talman is the bb734a, which is $750. That being said, if you can find a used BB424x, that is a high quality, well-priced bass. The 424x is the kind of bass you pick up and realize that price often has little to do with quality, it is pro level in my eyes and the tone is second to none.

With the looks, quality for price and tone, the Talman wins in my eyes. That being said, I am a bit of a Talman fanboy for some reason; the retro design, feel, tone, and value just does it for me.

Last edited: May 29, 2018
    CameronJohnson likes this.