Which input?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by walldaja, Apr 29, 2012.

1. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    I have both an active and a passive bass. I have a GK amp which has input jacks for either. I usually run my bass through a Zoom B2.1U. Any thots which is more correct?

2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Always try the passive input first. If the amp distorts or clips, switch to the active input.

3. The active input is for any device that has a built-in amp or pre-amp.The passive input is for unamplified inputs, such as basses without batteries.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    And plenty of people use just the passive input, even if they have active basses.

Like me :smug:

5. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Passive. I always do.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

+1 That's the input I use.

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Active basses go in the padded input, otherwise you won't be maximizing headroom.

Plug an active bass in the passive side if you want a hard clip and (in my experience) and poor tone.

My old SVT's padded input was -15db which I found really quiet, I tried everything in my power to run my BTB (18v) through the passive input, to get any noticeable volume would cause hard clipping.

8. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's entirely dependent on the bass and amp in question, and pretty much BS as a blanket statement like that.

I've never had an issue with clipping or poor tone.

9. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks! Appreciate your responses.

10. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    So much this...
    I've only owned 1 passive instrument in my life (about 15 years ago). Been using Actives into the Passive Input only since that time.

11. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Ok: question tho--
    I play a jaguar, and typically keep it on passive setting, unless I'm playing a solo and want the boost from the active switch, then switch off again--which jack is best?

12. There is only one reason to ever use the padded "active" input...........

If when using the unpadded "passive" input you experience clipping. Other then that, you want the hottest "non-clipped" signal going into the amp.

13. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    my GR is- unless you're just frying your preamp/front end, use the Passive input. Sounds way better. Even on hot 18V Spector preamps I don't have an issue and run my Mesa's Gain at about 1:00.

14. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Passive

15. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    cool, thanks y'all!

16. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the reason to go into the passive input with the active bass is if you want to sound like NIN :)

17. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    Not familiar with Spector preamps, but most 18V preamps don't have any more output than 9V...just more headroom before clipping if the pickups are extra hot.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021