which instrument is harder to play? (Bass, Guitar ,Drums, Keyboard)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by de la mocha, Oct 11, 2005.

1. The Bass

3 vote(s)
  2. The Guitar

4 vote(s)
  3. The Drums

17 vote(s)
  4. The Keyboard

20 vote(s)
  1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I know that their is no real answer to this question because it depends on the individual. But for discussion purposes, what is your opinion and why?

The bass has popping, slapping and thumping!

The guitar has strumming, chords and a tiny neck and strings and requires a pick!

The drums are physically exhausting and requires timing!

The keyboard requires both hands to function independantly!

To me, the guitar is the hardest! They make them so damn small! I can wrap my index finger around the whole neck and I cant use a pick to save my life!
  2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The instrument is secondary.

Making good music is the hard part.
  3. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    I agree, it's not the (insert instrument)! It's the (insert instrument) player!

But for the sake of discussion, to me the guitar was just damn near impossible for me. There would be hope for me on the drums if I wanted to play, and the keyboard I could get use to if I wanted, but I can't even play the guitar!
  4. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    Even an opinion that comes from a person who can play them all, it's still an individual matter. What's easier for them. I have a sister-in-law that can play anything she hears on the piano. Never had a lesson, doesn't practise. Just plays. Her posture on the instrument is very idiosyncratic because she's completely untrained. What are you going to do with something like that?
  5. I can't play drums for the life of me. I can tap and all, but when I sit and try to play it, it just feels weird.
  6. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Drums can be hard. I can do it for a little while, but keeping up and doing interesting things with the beat is hard. I'm lost with anything that isn't straight 4/4.

Guitar is ridiculously easy. Learn one bar chord and go up and down the neck. Hey! Want to form a band?
  7. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    For me the hardest is keayboard, no doubt about it.
    How the hell do you make chords or dismantled chords with one hand and complecated 3 octaves melody with the other one. :confused: :eek:
  8. 1 + Sorry but imo threads like what is harder to play or bass vs. guitar vs. drums etc. are pointless .
  9. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    They're all easy to play. They're all hard to play well.
  10. triangle and noseflute.

get to work.
  11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
  12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I think that each instrument has its own problems to solve. A double bass can't handle super-fast passages as the violin does, which make most people think that the violin is harder to play, but the amount of physical endurance and stamina required to play DB makes it a VERY difficult instrument in its own area. In terms of "physical barriers" to overcome, it's been said (and the Guinness Records book supports this) that the most difficult instruments are the French Horn (an excellent player allegedly can get many different pitches from a hose) and the oboe, which is called "the perverse woodwind that nobody can play properly".
  13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

BTW, Guinness also says that the easiest instrument is the Ukulele...
  14. froggsoldier

Apr 29, 2005
    Yup, getting the ideas created is the hardest part I would assume, I don't play, but I know alot of peeps who do, and its hard to come up with something new and fresh. But I say piano personally, I think bass is easier than that, I can at least play Mary had a Little Lamb on a bass guitar. :smug:

**so i guess piano would fall under keyboard so I am voting for that one!
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Drums... well keys moreso... but drums sound better.

Really, I segregate these two because in order to become proficient at both, you have to have total control over both sides of your brain. I do not. Drummers include both hands and both feet... but a "good" keyboard player does the same. (I put good in quotes... because I don't think bass players like these guys. ;) )

Oh yeah, music isn't a competition... blah blah blah.
  16. I play both the drums (25 yrs) and Bass (-6 months). IMO the Drums are harder to play. It requires all 4 of your limbs to do different things at different times consistently. Depending on what you play, You need to be in good physical shape, have stamina, and keep mentally fit. As I progress as a bassist my feelings may change.
  17. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

18. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Drums, to play them WELL. Many don't, but think they do.