1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Interface for iPhone and Animoog?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by arginator, Feb 19, 2018.

1. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    I have an old iPhone 4s and downloaded Animoog for iPhone to play around with. I’m playing bass into it through my old 1st generation iRig. It works to a degree, but the E and low B strings don’t register. Right now I’m just noodling around at home, but I may want to gig with it at some point. So I’m looking to get a better interface. What’s my best option that won’t break the bank, without serious latency issues? iRig Pro? iRig HD? Sonuus and usb to lightning cable?

2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

The Line 6 Sonic Port will work a lot better, and has most of the I/O you need to use it live.

3. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for the reply. Have you used both? Why will it work better?

Also will any interface work with any iOS app?

4. TheEmptyCell

The old Irig plugs into the headphone jack and you get a crapload if noise and power sound quality. You could get an Irig HD or other interface that plugs into the docking jack on your phone. Any of them should work, but I don’t know if there is any planned obsolescence for apps and peripherals for that generation iPhone.

5. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Yeah I’m pushing it with an iPhone 4s. But I updated my phone two years ago and it’s literally been sitting around doing nothing. And it still works fine. So I thought I would try out some apps on it, and if it works ok with bass I could upgrade to an iPad sometime in the future. Surprisingly the 4s does work with Animoog. But yes, the original iRig leaves a bit to be desired.

6. arginator

arginator

Feb 28, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Another question. Currently I’m using the Midimorphosis app to convert the bass signal to midi for Animoog. If I get any of the devices mentioned above, will I still need Midimorphosis?

7. TheEmptyCell

Unless you find another app that does pitch-to-MIDI conversion, you’ll still be using Midimorphosis. Just be aware that pitch to MIDI conversion doesn’t even work well when using a dedicated piece of hardware and top tier decked out computer, it’s hard for to track low notes.