Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is a better buy??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by magikfinga, Oct 27, 2004.

1. magikfinga

magikfinga

Oct 14, 2004
    Hi people,

I am new to this forum as well as playing the guitar. I would like to hear your opinion on this topic.....which is the better buy? A Squier Standard P-bass Special or the Squier Affinity P-bass. The first one has both a P-style and J-style pickups....but how does the pickup relate to the type of music being played.

guidance

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    The Affinity model is the cheaper one in price and quality. Spring for the Standard or buy a Mexican made Fender.

3. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    More pickups wil usually give you more sound options. Closer to the bridge is brighter and more percussive. Closer to the neck has more bottom. Play on the end of the neck for lots of bass and a near upright bass sound. More money spent now will usually mean less money needed to upgrade in the future.

4. The one with the P and J style pickups will give you a good mix of each tone they can give having been seperate. A p will usually give you a punch, really low-end sound and a J will give you a low, growly sound. With one of each, you can mix it around and get some of each tone. Honestly, I'd either go for a Fender MIM bass instead of a Squier or go for an Essex (www.rondomusic.bigstep.com) - Better quality IMO.

Peace,
    Tyler

5. get a mexi-jazz. you'll thank us later. good tone for your hard earned pesos.

6. You oughta check out the Essex J basses. Amazing instruments for the money, just ask "Woodchuck" who did alot of high-hitting recording with his. And at $140 shipped, it is probably cheaper than the ones you were looking at anyways.

7. magikfinga

magikfinga

Oct 14, 2004
    thanks for the input guys....

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    if you can swing it go for a MIM p-bass. I love mine and after I tweeked with the action and changed the strings it really all came together. If you are located here in the States try hitting Guitar Center in the middle of the week and you should be able to get a great deal on a P or J MIM Fender. Good luck and happy playing. :D

9. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I would recommend a Made in Mexico Jazz as well - better quality than the Squier and a bit more versatile than a Precision. I think a Precision is a must have in any arsenal, but if I could only get one, it would be a Jazz. I just saw them advertised in Musicians Friend for $219, which is a good deal I think...

10. Hella_Groovy

Hella_Groovy

Aug 31, 2004
    Richmond Va
    Mexi Jazz Bass, all the way. It may seem steep for a first bass, but it's money well spent. The Fender is $419 at Musician's friend, the Squier is $219, and must be avoided.

11. magikfinga

magikfinga

Oct 14, 2004
    Aight so it seems the Mex Jazz would be the better buy......

yo vacman....where is the guitar center???

12. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois