Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is a better improvement: Aphex Bass Exiter or SansAmp Bass Driver?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sharpcut, Apr 11, 2005.

1. sharpcut

sharpcut

Apr 11, 2005
    Finland
    Hello there!

If you had this kind of "rig", which of these would you think would be a better improvement for my sound, an Aphex Bass Exiter or an SansAmp Bass Driver?

Bass: Fender ´51 Precision re-issue
    Head: Marshall JCM 800 Bass Series
    Cabinet: Mesa Boogie 2x12 RoadReady

Much like every other kid these days, I too admire the sound of Matt Freeman of Rancid. So roughly, that is what I'm going for.

PS: It's my first post here and because english is not my native tongue, I apologize for any typing errors.

Greetings,
    -Sharpcut

2. i would say get the sansamp...

3. I use the Aphex in my rather modest rig, and enjoy it, although it's not without its faults. Big, boomy sound can be yours with a turn of its knobs!

I've been told that the SansAmp is fantastic in a recording situation, but have not been able to try one out. It seems to get heaps of positive feedback though...

Hope this helps your decision.

-strange.

4. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Depends on what your looking for. I have the Bass Exciter. I like it. I keep mine on all the time. I use it as a bass boost. It adds a nice amount of meat to the low end. Plus some low-mid punch. You can also get nice shimmering highs out of it. It also helps in my effects chain with pedals that lose some low end. However, I dosent have a dedicated mid control. It doesn't have overdrive either. So If your looking for more control of your tone w/ overdive I would go with the sansamp. Best thing to do is go down to GC w/ your bass and try both out.

5. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I believe GC is having a sale until the end of april on the bass exciter. $139 (list $199)...not sure if you have Guitar center's out in Finland though.

6. +1 for the SABDDI although, in fairness, I have no experience of the Aphex.

I have been using a SABDDI for several years now and I have to say that I would not consider gigging without it and, so far as studio work is concerned, it is equally essential IMHO. :)

7. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    I say sansamp.

The sans doesn´t have a dedicated mid knob either though. It´s automatic somehow. If you turn the bass'n'treble up the mid goes down and vice versa. A bit odd, but it works fine! :ninja:

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I've enjoyed both. I think the SABDDI is probably what you need for the Matt Freedman sound.

Don't worry about your English. It is better than some of the 'native' speaker's around here :)

9. Considerably better than my Finnish too. :) :)

10. bassist4God770

bassist4God770

Jan 11, 2004
    I have both of the effects in question. And I would say Get both of them. They work together phenomenally. But if I had to choose I would go with the sansamp. I can't live without my RBI. Just made my bass sound 10 times better.

Adam

11. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Good to know...I'm waiting fo the sansamp programmable bass driver pedal, thats supposed to come out today. Anyone know whats up with that?

12. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    They really do different things, I have the Aphex box, and it's a good little unit. It's nice way to get a "big" sound without cranking everything up to 11. On the other hand, the Sansamp will (from what I've read) give the sort of overdrive that you may be looking for to create a Matt Freeman-type tone.

13. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    What!? Tell me all about it! :hyper:

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  15. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    Interesting, indeed. Slap, finger and dist at once. NICE.

16. renquan

renquan

Sep 9, 2004
    i got a aphex xciter a few mths back and its rox! now i'm able to cut through my bass even on a trace eilliot boxer 30 amp...

I wasnt able to hear myself in the past during jam practices... now the bass xciter has boost up everything alot... i love those boommy sound on my E string when i slide...

but juz to warn first, if you play alone, the xciter may sound too boomy. But when u play in a band... it sounds good :)

I've havent got a chance to try the sansamp yet... maybe i'll try one in the near future :)