Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is a better preamp for EMG-35HZ's? Bart or EMG?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philthy, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I have a bass with EMG-35HZ's in it. I'm going to put in a 2 band preamp. I'm deciding between the Bartolini HR-4.5 or the EMG BTS system. Both are about equally priced. Which one would be the better fit and better sounding for the EMG pickups?

Thanks!!!

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    The HZ series is passive, right? If so, the BTS will only offer active eq, but not an actual preamp for the pickups.

The Bartolini has an active eq as well as a preamp for the pickups.

Difference is, that when the controls are set at zero for the eq (no boost or cut), the pickup level will be the same with the EMG as it is without the BTS. The level of the Barts will be higher with similar setting.

I think...

3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    OK. That makes sense. So, I think I'm gonna lead towards the Bart. As long as the EMG's and Bart work well together.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I will be using bart preamp if I put one in my jazz bass. I only want a 2 band preamp, but I want both boost and cut. Bart provides that. Wouldn't see why the Bart pre wouldn't work fine. If it didn't, I would think the problem isn't with the pre. Only my opinion though, not based on experience.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Typically Bart pre's sound best with Bart P/U's. EMG pre's sound best with EMG P/U's. Both of their pre's were designed around their own P/U's. I did recently install the Demeter pre with some EMG's and it sounded real good.
    As a general rule though (IMO) the pickups seem to dictate more of the overall sound than the pre.

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've played a few of the Spector Re-Bops that have the HZ's with an Aguilar OBP-1 & it sounded killer.

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    IMHO, the Aggie pre's are the exception rather than the rule... but I think what Jome said is more of a rule of thumb...