Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is best for my needs -- Sans or MXR?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Aug 24, 2004.

1. I read a few threads on this already thanks to the Search button, but I figured I would ask anyway.

What I'm looking for is a preamp to beef my tone up (mainly to get that 'growl') and dirty it a little bit. I play mainly thrash metal, so mids are important, so that leads me to the MXR. But I just want a little bit of distortion and I love the ampeg sound...which leads me to the Sansamp.

Which do you think would suit me best? Thanks.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, one important distinction between the two:

The mxr is two channel, so you can have the eq on/off separate from the distortion. The sansamp is all or nothing.

I like them both, but for my needs live the MXR suits me best. If mid eq is really important to you and you need to do it on your pedalboard, then the mxr would be better suited to your needs. While not as ampeg-ish as the sansamp, the mxr can do a decentish mild distortion using the blend feature and low gain. But the MXR distortion is more of a heavy one than the BDDI overdrive.

3. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    For thrash metal, I'd go for the MXR. You can cop that Frank Bello/early Robert Trujillo (ST) sound with this pedal. Cuts like a mofo too.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From what I've read, Id go with the MXR for you're style.

Im thinking about getting a Sansamp for myself though, since my band plays funkier style stuff, i think itd work better for that.

5. Alright thanks folks, I was starting to lean towards the MXR. Mainly because:

1) Mid control
    2) I can turn off dist and change channels by stepping on it
    3) It's cheaper :D

edit - and Figjam, wheat thins STILL suck, except for the chocolate chip ones