Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which is best pick up, Help i no nothing

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by supercharged, Nov 18, 2003.

1. im a complete beginer and ther are two guitars i can have that r fairly similar,one has two single coil pick ups and the other has 1 split coil pick up, Which is best???? please help people inocent little girl here !!:help:

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Neither one is better than the other.

If you are a beginner, you might tell us if there is a paticular band you like the bass tone from and then people here would be better able to help you.

3. yeah i like bands like raging speedhorn and american headcharge but i also like bass from chilli peppers so im not sure which is best, as long as one isnt way better than the other i dont suppose it matters to much, im just happy to be getting a bass at last thanx 4 the help:bassist: :D

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Supercharged,
    Without any more info, it sounds like you have the choice between a Jazz Bass type of instrument or a Precision Bass type of instrument. These were the first two widely successful bass guitar designs that became popular in the '50s and early '60s. While the tone of each type of instrument is somewhat different to experienced players, the main difference that would have a direct impact to you and your ability to play the bass would be the size and shape of the neck. A Jazz Bass neck (the type of bass that usually has two single coil pickups) has a smaller, more narrow neck....the nut is only 1 1/2" wide. A P bass, on the other hand, tends to have a more substantial neck, and the string spacing is wider at the end of the neck.... 1 3/4".
    For younger players (and female players too), many find the smaller neck more suited to smaller hands. Of course, many young, female, and young female players do just fine on larger necks and P-Bass style instruments. However, "in general", you might want to look at a bass that "most" players consider to be more comfortable....a Jazz Bass style instrument with two single coil pickups. Hope that helped (and wasn't too basic). Good luck with getting your new bass and welcome to Talkbass!!! :D

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I don't know about those other bands, but I looked up a RHCP fan page and it listed some of Flea's gear:

http://www.angelfire.com/music3/Chilihead/Equipment/FleasEquipment.html

Flea uses a number of basses, including a Modulus, Stingray, and a Fender Jazz.

He also uses GK Amps and Mesa Boogie cabs.

6. Hi

Harlow if I am correct is on the outskirts of London. The best advice I can give you is to speak to the very helpful guys at 'The Gallery' based in Camden on the Northern Line.

They are some of the friendliest people and will help you out. If you tell them you are a beginner they will NOT talk down to you but will give good solid advice.

Lots of the UK TBers have been to The Gallery and will testify that it is good.

Their number is 020 7267 5458 or you can search them on the web at www.thebassgallery.com

Good luck

Matthew:bassist:

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    By the way... what's England's native language?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

8. It is English, which American's corrupted and now use as their language.;)

sorry I couldn't resist:D

Matthew