1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which is better at dispersing angry bees? The Boss Noise suppressor or Hum Debugger?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by de la mocha, Mar 25, 2009.

1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Help!!! A beehive thrives inside my Jazz Bass! Which stomp box would you recommend to disperse those pests?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    ISP Decimator should be in your sights too!

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If your bass is buzzing with both pickups on full you need to address the electronics in it. The jazz should only be prone to buzz when only 1 pickup is used by itself.

4. They actually do two different things. The Hum Debugger removes the 60-cycle hum normally associated with single coil pickups. The NS-2 removes white-noise-ish hiss. Which is it that you're encountering? If you touch your finger to your pickups, does it go away?

5. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    +1

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    +1... important question.

I'm going to guess that you're dealing with buzz and hum, since you mentioned bees. :D

The Hum Debugger is perfect for that. Be warned that it uses its own special power supply, but it does what it's supposed to do - kill the hum.

However, there are many things you can do to minimize the hum, such as upgrading the shielding inside your bass, or even going with different pickups besides stock. Of course, that's not ideal if you already have pickups you love, or if the pickups are vintage. And this is where the Hum Debugger finds its niche audience. ;)

7. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    My bass is quiet with both pickups on but when I want to solo the bridge pick up, all hell breaks loose. :meh:

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Good old fashioned hum. :smug:

When both pickups are balanced 50/50, the hum is canceled - just like with a humbucker. At other settings, you'll get hum. Shielding and pickup design play a role in just how much hum you get, although fluorescent lights and other electrical interference can amplify noise that normally wouldn't be a problem.