Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is better for a stand alone cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jan 31, 2004.

1. I've pretty much decided to replace my Ampeg BA-115 with Behringer Bx3000t head and a single cab, but I can't decide whether to get an Avatar 1x12 w/tweeter or the Avatar compact 1x15 w/tweeter. I'm planning on getting an 8 ohm cab, so I can add another cab later, probably an Avatar 2x10. I play just about everything from acoustic to metal. I'm leaning toward the 1x12, since it would probably have more definition and punch than the 15. Plus, it's smaller and cheaper. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    FYI, according to the Avatar website, the 1x12 and 1x15 (w/tweeter) are the same size.

I recently went through a similiar ordeal and got a 115H and have been happy with it. I do have a 5-string bass however.

FWIW..

--Jonathan

3. I also use a five string bass, and a four string tuned BEAD, but I've read a few reviews that say that the b112 can handle the low B easily. I also looked on the Avatar site, and the 1x12 weighs 10 pounds less than the 1x15.

4. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The 112 will be a much better stand alone cab if you hate tweeters, cuz you won't need the tweeter on to get your highs.

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    I feel that it all depends on how soon you get the 2x10! I have the 1x15 and a 2x10 from Avatar and they sound geat!!! You may want to get the 2x10 1st. then the 15

6. I thought of that, but I need a little more low end than a 2x10 would ge me. I probably won't be getting another cab for a while.

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    5 String? Definitely the 15, especially if we're talking Avatar. They tune their cabs high. Speaker cone excursion can get pretty crazy at frequencies lower than the cab's tuning frequency. It's the laws of physics at work here. They may claim the 12 handles the low B but so does my 4" PC speakers - until I turn them up that is.

8. At least a couple of the reviews on the cb112 on harmonycentral.com say that it handles the low B string easily. I wouldn't just take a manufacturer's word for something like that.