Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which is better for funk metal?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Dec 9, 2003.

Which is best for funk metal?

Poll closed Dec 23, 2003.
  1. Musicman Stingray 4 banger

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Marcus Miller Jazz

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Other (please specify)

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Marcus Miller Jazz or 4 string stingray.

I also dont really want recomendations for other Fender jazzes.. i dont like the body dize but the MM has a reduced size bottom i belive.

2. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    No I think they are the same. I like a jazz bass better.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Maybe the body just looks smaller b/c of the pickguard.

4. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What the hell is funk metal? (Can I say that?) Like RHCP or something? Or just playing Jungle Boogie with heavy distortion?

Anyway, as I recommend to everybody, I will also recommend a Lakland 44-02 for you. I can make mine sound like a MM, or a Jazz bass. That's how everybody defends Laklands. First of all, the sound defends itself. Second, IMO, Laklands sound better than Jazz basses and MM's, so it doesn't even matter!

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    How about narrowing it down a little from "funk" metal? Do you play funky fingerstyle, or funky slap? Midrange bump or cut? Distortion or clean?

The Marcus has a little thinner neck and maple board that I like, but the preamp is not great IMO.

The Stingray has slightly better build quality and electronics, but it doesnt have the range of tones, plus the neck is a little thick for me.

Personally, I'd probably pick up the Marcus jazz and drop in Nordstrand pickups with an Aguilar pre with the money I'd save. Or - I could get a Sterling, smaller body, thinner neck, pickup selection switch.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Funk metal is like.... 311, and.. its basicaly like Chilly peppers with a harder chorus and a more metal guitar line.

I play fingerstyle and slap.

7. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    check out warwick streamers. dirk lance (formerly of incubus) uses them, and they definitely had the funk metal back in their early days.

8. ditto!

and besides, as i've said before there are no basses that are the best for any genre. find what you like and play it, dont let others tell you what to play just based on the (rather odd) genre you play!

9. I always thougt of 311 as 3rd wave ska. But i dont know. Funk Metal sounds kinda cool. I guess "metal" doesnt match 311s sound to me.

10. If I had to choose I would go for the Stingray. It has a killer sound that is funky and is great for slap and finger style. It's also very versitile, esspecially with the 3 band EQ, and to top it off it has more bite then any Marcus Miller I have tried, which in a metal situation is going to be a god send if you actually want people to hear what the hell you playing.

11. CkB_Cowboy

CkB_Cowboy

Nov 30, 2003
    Boston, MA
    maybe "funk metal" is like, cosmic slop?

heh

12. so does pnut from 311... i forget where i saw the article but i think one got the idea from the other... i think dirk got it from pnut but i havent slept in 2 days so i could be wrong

13. Chris_AtariDoll

Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    UK
    if you want the 311 sound... buy a warwick.

if you ask me warwick = funk metal.

egotistical- yep dirk loved p-nuts playing so much he just copied his choice of bass.
    its in an atricle on the warwick site.

and p-nut used warwicks coz of norwood fisher.

I use warwicks coz of dirk...

by the way... didnt EXTREME brand themselves as 'funky metal' in the early 90's

14. Funk Metal = Infectious Grooves.

About the bass, uh, what the other guys said. :oops:

15. si_mon13

si_mon13

Sep 1, 2003
    denmark
    ex-faith no more bassist billy gould, uses zons as far as i know, and they seem to do the job pretty well. otherwise, laklands..

16. i'm sure dirk lance could play "funk metal" on a wishnevsky too if he wanted to

different players use an array of brands, but the overall sound is gonna come from how you play your instrument

norwood fisher- who is a funk/punk hybrid god uses warwick thumbs, and is now also using ovation basses...still sounds like norwood either way

17. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Spector is what warwick wishes it was. Go with a Euro 4 and you'll be happy. Funk Metal for sure. Flea uses/used them to record = Funk, Eddie Jackson (Queensryche) uses them for everything = Metal.

Good Luck

18. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'd pick a Spector or a Stingray... funktastic!

When I think of funk/metal, I think Infectious Grooves or some of RHCP's heavier material & a local band called Evil Eyeball (sounds like a mix of RHCP/Frank Zappa/SOAD..good stuff.)

19. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Ahh no, that's ghetto metal !:bassist: :)

20. Spector would be my first choice, for what you're looking for.
    Why not a modulus Flea or anything of that kind?!!!(status...)